digital electronics

hi I need to divide two 10 bit numbers.I would like to know if any kind of chip is readily available or what would be the best circuit for implementing this(A circuit for a higher number of bits like 16 will also do).Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Rangan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
srinivasa.rangan

Not enough information. Is this for homework to demonstrate the concept using discrete logic gates, or for "real" work where there may be other constraints, such as throughput, footprint, cost, integration with other components, etc.?

Absent any other information, a reasonable answer to your question is:

unsigned short divide(unsigned short dividend, unsigned short divisor) { return dividend / divisor; }

or we could instantiate a 10-bit divider in VHDL or some flavor of assembly language or ...

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

This is one part of a project I am doing and not just to illustrate the concept.As long as the circuit gives the output by some 500ms at the maximum and doesnt take up a power of more than 200mW its ok.Also i would like to avoid using some microcontroller or pic as i feel it would be an overkill. Thanks Rangan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
srinivasa.rangan
[Re: want ten-bit integer divider]

Perhaps a ROM or similar device, pre-programmed with a ten-bit answer dependant on the ten-bit input?

Reply to
Kitchen Man

[Please include context in replies. Yes, the Google usenet interface sucks. "Do no evil"? Feh!]

Is there nothing else that the project needs to do? It would seem that building this out of discrete logic would be overkill. If a microcontroller is a bad fit, how about a CPLD?

How are the ten bits presented to the front end of the divider block? How do you want the results presented at the back end?

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Jasen Betts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.compass.net.nz:

Or, you could go with a Picaxe-40 uC. ~$10.00 for the 40 pin chip, 2 resistors, a 3-wire serial cable, and free PBasic programming/loading software. 32 I/O lines, so 2 sets of 10 bits in and 1 set of 10 bits out. Not sure about the current consumption, but a lot of that depends on what you're driving, and if 200mW is a maximum peak or average consumption.

Ken Moffett

A $5 microcontroller, plus $5 worth of extra hardware could do it,

I doubt there's a cheaper way, of course you'd need a programmer for the micro, if you make one of them too and shop at an expeisive hobby store call it $50

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts