Detecting Vehicles Coming Up Our Driveway

I believe someone mfgers a device that can be placed along a driveway, and when a vehicle passes by it sends a wireless signal to an alarm in a home to signal the event. Whoa! As I was typing this, it occurred to me that I might have bookmakred such a site once. Here it is Are there others? The price of the 1000' alarm is a bit much, $179.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

--
               "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a
                member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

Google "motion detector" e.g.

kell

works for me, along with a decent color video camera and monitor. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I believe this subject has been covered a number of times in; alt.home.automation comp.home.automation (Assuming you haven't looked there already... :D) ______________________________ The Christmas Grimch

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

(I don't believe this got posted properly, so I doing it again.) I believe someone mfgers a device that can be placed along a driveway, and when a vehicle passes by it sends a wireless signal to an alarm in a home to signal the event. Whoa! As I was typing this, it occurred to me that I might have bookmakred such a site once. Here it is Are there others? The price of the 1000' alarm is a bit much, $179.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. W.

Lowes carry motion detector lights with battery-operated sensors with RF transmitters ... the range is 100 feet. They cost a lot less than $179 and might serve the purpose. It should be easy to power a sound device from the light socket unit, which could be mounted in your home.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Check out the X10 stuff.

Kurt Krueger

"W. W." wrote in news:3rZeh.9198$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Model Railroaders have had this basic problem solved for years: IR Detector -

Photocell Detector -

Both are on this page:

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

--
Why not use a tape switch and hard-wire into your house?
Reply to

might

Try burying a multi turn coil, a metre or two in diameter, in the driveway. Connect the two ends to the inputs of an op-amp and fiddle with it until you get enough of an output signal to do something with.

Roger Dewhurst

Silicon Chip magazine published a construction article for one of these not so long ago

David

"W. Wats> I believe someone mfgers a device that can be placed along a driveway, and

Reply to
quietguy