Memory usage and ISE

Hi All,

I am trying to P&R an XC2V8000 with a large number of MCP constraints on a

2GB (+2GB swap, /3GB switch in boot.ini) Win2K machine and I am running out of memory. If I take the constraints out then ISE only consumes 1GB.

# ERROR:Portability:3 - This Xilinx application has run out of memory or has # encountered a memory conflict. Current memory usage is 1969212 kb. Memory # problems may require a simple increase in available system memory, or # possibly a fix to the software or a special workaround. To troubleshoot or # remedy the problem, first: Try increasing your system's RAM.

Before I buy some extra memory, are there any switches or tips to reduce the memory requirements? I tried removing some of the MCP's to see if I could still meet timing but unfortunately I need them all.

I also tried installing ISE on my Gentoo64 machine but after some hacking of libraries, portmap etc I got a "6031 Segmentation fault" during installation :-(

Thanks, Hans.

Hans

out

has

the

of

installation

Hi,

Unless you use 64-bit software, the O/S won't be able to give you more RAM. Having said this, Synopsys distributes a Linux kernel patch to increase the user space to 3.2 GB. Also, ISE might be checking for real RAM (you don't want to P&R on your HD), so adding memory might help (a bit).

The "safest" option would be to partition your design in physically separate parts so you can merge the partial results. The ISE supports this, but I haven't used it. Main issues to expect are:

- hard to split design

- one part uses more BRAMs, MULTs, ... than the other and would cause an overlap (last time I've checked, this could not be solved).

Regards, Alvin.

Reply to
Alvin Andries