Converting dual or balanced supply circuit to single supply?

Hi, I have a schematic of an opamp circuit that is biased by a positive and negative voltage source. I was thinking I can convert it to single supply by doing the following:

- replace ground reference of dual supply circuit with Vcc/2 .

- replace negative reference of dual supply circuit with 0V.

Is this a correct assumption? What other things do I need to take into account?

I probably need to take this into account:

Thanks!

Reply to
MRW

That should do it, if you include the fact that the output swing will be reduced to the lower supply voltage and the inputs have to deal with being re referenced to your Vcc/2 voltage. If this causes them to pass current to that reference, they may "talk" to each other through this node.

Reply to
John Popelish

Thanks, John!

Reply to
MRW

"MRW"

** Generally you cannot do that.

The ground " reference" for input and output signals becomes the same conductor as the negative ( of the now single supply) uses.

What you really do is create a "half rail " DC reference that is used solely to bias the op-amp ins and outs to that voltage.

Then, all outside world inputs and outputs are coupled via capacitors that block the half rail voltage.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison