current output DAC's

Hi,

I am hooking up a 12bit current output DAC (DAC7811)

with a 0V to 5V output voltage range.

I am putting an opamp I to V converter on the output of this current output DAC.

The datasheet shows these two hookups:

  1. negative voltage output Vout = -Vref * Code/4096

  1. positive voltage output

I would like the positive voltage output but it requires a -2.5V reference. What would be the best way to hook this DAC up for a 0V to 5V output range?

If I use a a -5V reference instead of the -2.5V reference will this provide a 0V to 5V output range? Does the output opamp need a bipolar supply as well for this?

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

It's a bit late so maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you just use a voltage output DAC?

Reply to
Dave

I took a look at the TI datasheet. It seems to me the -5V reference should do the trick. I don't know about that trick to make a positive reference into a negative reference. Obviously from an ideal op amp, the scheme works, but I wonder about stability.

Reply to
miso

Most of the serial interface DAC's I've seen that have a fast enough settling time ie. 0.2us, seem to be current output.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

Perhaps because voltage output DACs are current DACs with an opamp buffering the output? Just a guess. The CCD I'm using has a current output too. I assumed it was for the same reason (the opamp would be superfluous).

--
Keith
Reply to