condensators

Is it possible to switch two condensators paralell or one after the other or isn=B4t both not possible?

Reply to
thomas

For the past 50 years, the term "condenser" has not been used as a name for an electronic component. It is now used to describe a part used by air conditioning / refrigeration guys.

2 equal capacitors in parallel will give you twice the capacitance of a single cap. 2 equal capacitors in series will give you a voltage rating that is twice the rating of a single cap and a capacitance that is half what a single cap has.
Reply to
JeffM

Assumes that when he says "identical", he doesn't really mean identical.

Reply to
JeffM

two identical capacitors in parallel will have twice the capacitance and will withstand the same voltage as one of them

two identical capacitors in series will have half the capacitanceo of one but will withstand twice the voltage of one of them.

--

Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580 585-872-2606 snipped-for-privacy@USSailing.net
Dan Hollands

That is, with resistors installed across each capacitor to balance the voltages.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

May not in Anglo-American language (But I have my doubts if I listen to my American coworkers :-) ) May Thomas is German. Condensator (Kondensator) is still a common therm for a capacitor (Kapazitaet). He was not asking for a condensor ! Background is that the original "Theory" about capacitors was that electrons will "condense" on the plates. For those who remember it, the "Airwaves" theory (German: Aether) was very popular those times.

Reply to
Wolfgang Kemper

That makes sense now. Pardon my Ugly American Syndrome.

Actually, I'll qualify my statement. American automotive mechanics still do refer to the capacitor in Kettering ignitions as a condenser.

Reply to
JeffM

Never mind, we Germans have the tendency to ignore the rest of the world ;-)

Reply to
Wolfgang Kemper