component identification please

I have searched google but cant identify these two components.

I think they are Diodes. they look like Diodes, Black with two conductors at either end.

1 Says D1, only this. It has a two symbols on it that are printed at one end that are repeated around the circumference of the component that is mayb 1/8 of and inch thick. It is two solid triangles repeated around the end.

E.G. /\ \/ /\ \/ etc.

When I put my volt meter on it, assuming that it is a diode and setting my meter to Diode test I get nothing. There are about 4 of them. So I doubt they are all blown if at all. There is no result no matter which way I put the polarity.

The Second component also looks like a diode. It is also in the row that has the above components in them.

It has sort of a chevron around one end. Repeated in circumference. E.G.

Reply to
stevwolf58

Try to test with ohm-meter ; but ways

According to description, it seems to be the old OA something (Ge diodes), so 0.3V drop out and the diode-meter doesn't understand (it never met such a component). If you remove the black paint, you surely will see a cristal with a "s" connected to. Take care, after removal of the black paint, the semiconductor behaves as photosensitive.

Can you post a pix ?

Reply to
Look165

There are 4 of them? So what does the circuit look like... a full wave bridge?

There were some avalanche diodes that were designed to clamp voltage peaks - like back to back zener diodes in a single device. They would garner the D designation and wouldn't be tested with a multimeter since they conduct at higher voltages, than the 9V your meter uses(?).

You may also want to check your meter with a known good diode, then two forward biased diodes in series, then 3.... to answer the question of what the meter is "putting out."

Reply to
default

This is an old circuit board, nice thick layer of shellac on it. I'm not sure if I can send picture. Can you do it on this newsgroup?? If not how can I do it?

This is plastic or typical diode plastic. I think if you scrape it your scraping the component its self arn't you?

Reply to
stevwolf58

Just put a .jpg as attached file.

Reply to
Look165

Actually of the first component there are 6 of them, then two of the second . I would send picture but I dont know how to put pictures on this news group .

I put Ohm meter on them.

The first components all show the same Ohms. eg set Meter to 200M then put the (-) on the end that has the /\/\ on it an d (+) on the other end it shows 2.1 Mega ohm. This is true for all 6 compon ents. My guess is that what ever they are they are all showing the same, wh ich to me means they are all good my guess anyway.

On the other component I do the same thing and it shows 5.0. Mega ohm on bo th. Again this probably indicates that they are both good. Although I know this method is not the best, but just some hillbilly logic.

Reply to
stevwolf58

To check a diode that way you should have conductivity of low ohms when connected one way and high resistance (Megohms) the other way ( leads reversed)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Well as far as it goes all this components only work as I described above I cannot get and Ohms the other way around. I have moved my meter from 200 to 200M. Nothing.

Reply to
stevwolf58

I am no expert by any means on all things internet. But when i use google g roups to read this newsgroup there is no option that I can see to upload a picture. Unless you have done so in the past, I dont believe that this grou p allows it. Over the years I have not seen it. Sorry. If I am wrong.

Reply to
stevwolf58

This is not a "binaries" group, so no pix.

Most people put an image into one of the free picture-posting sites, or Dropbox, and include the link here.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Just start your post and with the thumnail attach a document (text, pix...).

With Seamonkey (Thnderbird) it is so simple and free. Just download it, install it, personalize it to your convenience (aspect, bookmarks..) and that's all. For IE (Outlook), I don't know, I don't use it, too much complex.

There surely is a way to attach a document, if not, send it to me at snipped-for-privacy@numericable.fr

Reply to
Look165

Hmm, well you might be punching above your weight with this one.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull