can an opamp sink current

can an opamp sink current? I'm guessing yes, since I would guess there may be some kind of totem pole thing going on at the output and thats how regular 7400s roll at their output so... since 7400 can sink, opamps can sink....

????

Reply to
panfilero

Yes. Most do.

You may find some odd balls that have source and sink outputs separated as 2 outputs to be used in applications like A and (A not) type signals where Open Emitter or Collector is specified.

P.S. Some op-amps Rail to rail, and others Rail/near Rail while the most common of them simply Near Rail/Near Rail on the outputs.

Most voltage comparators have open collectors which mean they sink only.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, essentially every one. Many can sink more than they can source.

ECL logic is open-emitter so can't sink. I vaguely remember an ancient opamp that had an emitter-follower output and needed an external pulldown, but that was long ago.

John

Absolutely yes ( within its output spec current limits ).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore