temperature compensated BJT current source/sink

I'm considering the idea of compensating a BJT current source (or sink) for temperature variation. I haven't read any detailed web pages, mostly because google doesn't find much with:

"temperature compensation" "bjt current source"

Only patents, it appears. Not teaching pages. And if I open this up to:

"temperature compensation" bjt "current source"

I get again lots and lots of patent pages plus a number of other things which seem unrelated to my interest. I admit not having tried to go through 30k+ hits, though.

No. I don't want to buy a temperature compensated IC device. I'm trying to learn as a hobbyist only, about designing such things from the ground up. It's a personal challenge to help me find and fill in holes in what I understand now. I am not trying to learn how to buy them from someone else who already knows how. I want the knowledge, not the parts.

My target is to have these designed for 20uA, 50uA and maybe 100uA -- sink and source. With supplies that will be from 5V to 15V, 8-9V to start out with.

So... I sat down to think about it a moment and came up with this:

+9V +9V > | | > | | > \ v > / R1 > \ 82k > / : temperature > | : stabilized > | : current > ,--------+ : sink > | | v (40uA area) > | | > | \ > | / R2 v > | \ 12k | > | / | > | | | > | | | > Q1 e>| | |/c Q2 > 2N3906 |------+------| 2N3904 > c/| | |>e > | | | > | | | > | \ | > | / R3 | > gnd \ 12.9k \ > / / R4 > | \ 1.2k > | / > | | > | | > gnd gnd

The result of the above circuit using the standard BJT models, is a nice parabola which sits right at 41.5uA and varies over a temp range of 0C to 105C by no more than +/-65nA. In other words, it looks pretty nice.

My question is about making quantitative calculations based upon theory that will roughly bound the variation for me and allow me to set the resistor values given specific BJTs for Q1 and Q2 and a desired temperature stabilized current sink (or source, using the reflected topology.)

My initial idea was rather simple. Since Q1's Vbe varies roughly

2mV/C, and the Vbe sets the current source magnitude, I'm going to see something along the lines of 2mV/620mV or 3000ppm/C change in current, early on, and as the Vbe gets smaller, that rate of change only worsens from there. So not being happy with that, I figured if I rammed that through R3 to jack up the base of Q2, make R3 about the same value as R2 (because the magnification of that 2mV/C goes by R3/R2) as seen by the Q2 base, and then it will be the case that as Q1's Vbe shrinks as temp rises, dropping the current source's value and thus lowering Q2's base, that Q2's Vbe also shrinks by a similar amount thus causing its emitter to rise -- exactly compensating for the fall of Q2's base by the same amount (assuming R3=R2.)

Now, it's also true that Q2 is an NPN and Q1 is a PNP and their Vbe variation over temp don't exactly match. That's fixable by adjusting R3 so that R3/R2 reflects the ratio of the mismatched Vbe variations. So that seemed easy enough to imagine.

Then I just set R4 to get the desired collector current and .. wow .. I should have it.

Thus, my first cut at the above circuit was to go look at the models and make up an R3 that reflected the difference and that worked out to about what shows, above. Although actually I computed an R3 a little larger than you see there.

R4 is what allows me to adjust the current sink value, so although that does monkey with the curve I'm not planning on changing R4 to move the temperature parabola around. That gets set for the current I want. This leaves R1 and R3 for adjustment of the temperature curve.

In playing around, I find that very, very slight changes in R3 will move the parabola bottom around very strongly towards lower or higher temperatures. Far less sensitivity is found with changes in R1. But since even a 50 ohm change in R3 (assuming that ~13k value) can move the parabola bottom over 50C, if the value is off by a few hundred ohms, no amount of adjustment of R1 will fix it. And I'm not yet taking into account the temperature variations of carbon or metal conductors that might be used in the resistors, either. So ....

Before I go set down with the temperature equations for Isat and the two BJTs and hit the books for the various temperature variations of resistor materials, etc, has anyone already done something like this and worked out the details to make a good design together with a calibration procedure for it? Should I consider applying more BJTs before settling down to work on the equations? If so, what topology would you suggest?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

That's all interesting and instructive, but for a really good current source, it's a lot easier to add an opamp and close a feedback loop on emitter current.

I could post a sketch if that sounds interecting.

John

You might want to look up "delta Vbe" or "bandgap". The basic idea uses two junctions with currents that are a known ratio.

Best regards,

Bob Masta D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Actually, I would like to see it. But I don't think seeing it will help me understand this approach better. I already knew that a negative feedback loop wrapped around a circuit, with appropriate gain, would make this easier. I'm looking to do this like it might be done __inside__ an opamp when creating current source/sinks, though.

How was temperature stability added to early transistor designs, where there were no ICs and the transistors weren't anything to write home about in terms of consistency between each other? I don't think this stopped anyone from designing and calibrating them, when they really needed such an element. So I'm curious about the approach used and I'd like to understand various good and better strategies one might use in those cases.

This needs to start in steps. In other words, I need to first know what the larger effects are and to correct for those. BJT current sources and sinks come in several varieties I'm already aware of, three of them at least being:

(1) the emitter follower with a resistor in the emitter, dragging the base up and down to set the current, (2) the 'I don't know what it is called' thing that I show in the above circuit with Q1, where the base and emitter develop a current across a resistor based upon Vbe, and (3) the current mirror form with incarnations including no emitter resistors at all to having similar or differing emitter resistors and a few or many BJTs each able to source or sink some current relative to a set one.

There may be others, too. Perhaps some that are more or less immune to temperature effects. I suspect, for example, that the current mirror in (3) shows somewhat better temperature stability than the version in (2), because the Vbe's are paralleled and then you are more worried about the side that sets the current and how that gets set for temperature drift. But again, I've not thought a lot about it, yet.

Anyway, large effects first. Understand those, fix them by good inherent starting design and not by adding a negative feedback loop. Then dig a little deeper and see what the next order of temperature effect is that remains. Ask if there is yet another means of improving the starting design to improve its inherent behavior, before taking on the idea of adding a feedback loop. If you are at the point of diminishing returns on the inherent features of the design, _then_ see about adding feedback to get that last bit you can.

This is about understanding. And I don't want to jump ahead with an opamp as part of a feedback loop until I've learned what I can about getting the design as inherently close as I can, first.

Does that make sense?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Done, already. In fact, I think AofE lays out an general schematic approach that starts with a current mirror (which I think is probably better than the two subsections shown in the schematic I provided [a Vbe-set current and an emitter resistor set current]), and where the current set by one leg is then handled by some additional BJTs well strategized for additional temperature compensation. However, I'm struggling first to understand this pair of transistors and what can be achieved with them by careful design before proceeding to trying to do my own work understanding more about that one.

They develop a very nice parabola, temperature wise, and appear (from simulation only, so far) to do a remarkably good job for just two BJTs. However, of course, building a real arrangement from this topology would require a calibration procedure that sets the resistor values, to nail down well. I'm curious about understanding the details that develop the parabolic shape with respect to temperature, though.

In short, I want to take this in steps.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

In case I wasn't clear, yes I am interested in other topologies as I said in my original post. So please, if you want to. I'd like that.

To be clear, though, when I wrote that I was thinking about "other BJT topologies." Of course, one would set out with chains of differential pairs and call it an "other BJT toplogy" but then... we'd be up to quite a few transistors by then. And I'd like to start small and work my way up to dozens of BJTs later on. I want to understand, at each step of additional complexity, what I am buying and why I am buying it.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Here's a typical circuit:

There's a small error from base current, generally not enough to worry about. A BCX71 has a beta in the hundreds, and it doesn't change much with temperature, so stability depends mostly on the quality of the bandgap and the source resistor. Of course, using a fet would eliminate base current error but would typically add more output capacitance.

There's no attempt to stabilize anything before adding the feedback; it wouldn't matter here.

Older IC datasheets often included the entire transistor-level schematic.

John

Okay. That one is dead easy to understand. Maybe. I gather the cap,

1k and 47 ohm are to snip oscillation. Other than that, right or wrong, I think I follow the rest. But it relies upon a bandgap ... itself, I assume a temperature-stable one. And it's being able to develop those details I'm looking for.

Yes. And that will be itself temperature varying, yes? (I'm thinking about 20uA, 50uA, and 100uA in particular, by the way. Not 10mA. But we can set that aside for now, I suppose.)

Ah, okay. So that answers the above question that it isn't "much" varying with temperature. I should look at the model.

Also, I imagine that there is offset drift vs temperature in the opamp, as well. Another factor?

I'm just focused on mastering BJTs, for now.

How many transistors are present in the opamp and the bandgap ref? How much intelligent design time went into those? How much went into whatever offset drift over temp the LM7301 exhibits?

What I'm looking for is the knowledge involved to _doing_ that. In other words, not in using advanced designs to make a simple current source/sink. But in what crafted thinking is involved in making those parts, themselves. As I said earlier, it's the knowledge not the part that I'm looking for.

Yes, but they don't teach well if you don't already know exactly what each section is there to achieve, beforehand. I'm hoping someone who already has been there, done that, can express some of what they know about these things.

Of course, I need to set down and actually do the experiments myself. But I like to first have a theoretical basis upon which I make predictions, which I can then test to see how well that worked in something built up. Poking around empirically to "get something on accident" might work at times, but it's not a good way in general. I'm trying to "see" better, right now.

I sincerely appreciate the thoughts so far. Don't get me wrong. It's just that the circuit you provided doesn't enlighten me that much about temperature stability. However, let's talk about what I am a little less sure of:

I think I have a feel for the 1nF -- I use exactly that kind of approach to stabilize a power supply feedback loop, in fact. In my own mind it helps stabilize a lot against ripple in the 12V supply rail, for one thing. And that plus the 1k filters things to around the microsecond area in the feedback. The 47 ohm, I think, is to deal with oscillations that sometimes take place with BJTs when there is too low of an impedance driving their base hard. But I'm open to correction on all of that.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Yes, but microvolts (ie, ppm's of the current) per degree C, totally swamped by the bandgap and resistor temperature drifts.

Well, nowadays electronic design consists of connecting complex boxes, with hundreds or millions of transistors inside, that somebody else designed.

Agreed, it's best if you can understand what's happening all the way down the abstraction stack, clear to the device physics.

All correct. The 1 nF was a guess, but with 1 nF and 1K, the opamp's feedback becomes "local" at around 150 KHz, plenty good enough to keep a 4 MHz opamp happy.

John

And therein lies a serious problem for me. I want to understand the details so that I can _be_ the somebody else, if I want to.

Bingo. I can actually solve eigen vectors and get eigen values and find observables in simple quantum mechanical problems. (So I can do some small things at the very tiny level, if I've a mind to struggle there.) And I don't really want to go that that level, .... yet. Right now, I'm on a __slightly__ more practical bend. I'd like to start with a simple EM1, hybrid-pi approach to this essentially DC problem and "get there" on my own. Well... somewhere, anyway.

Thanks for the confirmation. Then it all makes sense to me and I can say that I probably didn't learn a lot from the schematic -- except a confirmation of what I could already mostly imagine there.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Two possible paths are designing the ICs themselves, or designing discrete circuits that are not suitable to integration, for any one of a number of reasons.

It's surprising how little really rigorous theory is involved in most circuit design. In fact, circuit design is an emotional, qualitative sport that real academic, analytical braniacs aren't necessarily any good at. That is an occasional source of amusement.

It gets more interesting if you want to maintain a high output impedance, and a constant current, out into the GHz. Or if you want the current to be constant to a few PPM precision at, say, 100 amps.

John

ICs have design capabilities I cannot access well. So discrete is all I'm about, here.

I know it is. I do a lot of construction in practice of things I design in theory -- even quite complex optical systems, for example. And those things work quite well according to theory, so I suppose that's one reason I am looking for something like that here. If it isn't readily available, that's fine. I can hack things out like the next guy. I'd just rather have as much theory as is available.

If you are telling me that it isn't available, I'll take that on advisement.

That's beyond me, of course. I need to take the early steps. But I grant you that when reality impinges on a variety of fronts, each important in some fashion and at the same time, then yes this is what makes it more interesting once you've a solid handle on the basics.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Okay. Here's another approach:

In this, D1 is there to provide just the right amount of compensation for the Vb2 of Q2 and it simulates well, though again I still need to try it out in practice with several kinds of diodes and BJTs.

Actually looks like something I might consider using as one side of a differential pair being used as a voltage comparator, in fact -- thinking here of R4 as the shared emitter resistor, since the current to be split would then be held fairly constant (constant current in the emitter leg is that "good thing" in diff pairs.)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan