Audio Circuit Help

I'm working on a project in my free time and I think I have a generally good design but I there are two or three issues that I need to address before I start building a prototype. I'm sure some of these are basic for experienced electrical engineers and the likes but hopefully everyone will cut me at least a little slack. :-) I'm just a hobbyist.

My first question has to do with grounding components in a circuit. In the circuit I am working on, I am taking an audio signal and, among other things, running the signal through some opamps (sometimes for amplification, sometimes for buffering) that are powered by a 9V DC power source. When I ground components, can they all be run directly to the ground bus without affecting one another? What I am afraid of is losing the buffering I am getting by using opamps by having them share the ground bus directly.

The second question I have has to do with picking resistors for use with an opamp. In an inverting configuration, an opamp's Vout = Vin(Rfeedback/Rinput) so to achieve a gain of 10, your feedback resistor would simply have to be 10x that of our input resistance. But what other considerations are there in terms of power consumption/ efficiency, noise, etc.?

The final question I have has to do with reducing interference. In audio applications, it's common to use high and low pass filters to get rid of interference at "unwanted frequencies" like radio stations. In cases where there are a lot of "stages" (separated by opamps in this case,) is it common to filter those unwanted frequencies at each stage or would it be acceptable to just filter when the signal first comes in? Pristine audio is my goal in this project.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Brandon R

Reply to
Brandon

As long as your GND is sufficiently low-Z there is no problem. This is achieved by wide, short traces or a ground-plane on the pcb. avoid creating a loop in the ground circuit.

When using ONE 9V power supply you have to create 1/2 supply as a reference. Make sure this one is also low-Z, at least for audio.

When using just 9V power, your choice of op-amps is limited and specially low-noise and low distortion don't match with low supply.

To low values => not enough drive current To high values => noise + limited bandwidth

2kOhm - 100kOhm is OK op-amp outputs driving an interconnection-cable should have at least some 100 Ohm series resistor to avoid oscillation.

RF rejection of inputs by using inductors, ferrite-cores, small caps. Op-amps with moderate to high gain or driving loads should have some 22pF compensation in their feedback. Avoid multiple filtering ( low-pass or high-pass ) at the same frequency If your project needs to pass official tests concerning EMC, also apply RF filtering of outputs and supply. There is a lot of info on the web about this.

Robert

Reply to
Bob Woodward

Ditto with Robert. The filtering should be evaluated at the output stage of each amp. You do not want to feed unwanted signals into the next stage Unless they are so small you need to amplify them out. As Robert indicated Low Z. no antennas and sometimes using larger wattage resistors help with noise e.g. 1/2 watt instead of 1/4. As far as amplifying radio stations, I think your speakers will only go to 20k in frequency which rids that problem. Even if they get through you will not hear them!

Reply to
poogie

Thanks to you and Robert both for your responses. It looks like adding a bandpass filter from stage to stage is the way to go, along with lower resistances for controlling gain in the opamps. It sounds like 10K on the input and a 100K pot on the feedback loop might be a good choice. Any opinions?

Reply to
Brandon

Thanks for all of your recommendations. So what is the reason for not filtering multiple times at the same frequency?

Reply to
Brandon

It will create uncontrolled filtering leading to to steep cut-off and / or phase shift.

Better is: Dominant filtering at first stage / input by using single pole low-pass and high-pass filtering ( one C - one R ) All other stages get only frequency compensation by a little C ( 22pF ) around the feedback.

Make sure that the in and outputs of a potmeter are AC-coupled by using large enough capacitors. These will most likely be electrolytics because of the value needed. In a single supply circuit this will be no problem. For a circuit with symmetrical supply there will be the discussion of the ( polarized ) coupling capacitor being wrong polarized every half cycle. But they are not because there is no voltage- drop over these capacitors. Use high temp / high rel. types and they will last.

The slightest DC into a potmeter will make it noisy within weeks.

Robert

Reply to
Bob Woodward

Amen to that. Steepness is not usually an issue, since most of the time it's desireable. And in fact, cascading simple single-pole stages won't have much effect on steepness, but it might have a big effect on the cut-off frequency.

Consider that the cut-off is the -3dB frequency... let's say it's 10 kHz for a single stage. Cascade two stages together, and at 10 kHz the response is now -6dB. The 3 dB point will be effectively moved lower. For simple single-pole R-C stages, it would be about 70% of the original, or 7 kHz in this example.

Multi-stage filters are normally designed with two poles per gain stage. To get a specified overall cut-off frequency and response shape, the stages have to be designed to work together. Each has a slightly different cut-off and damping (Q) which when cascaded give the target response. However, note that the more stages you use, the tighter the tolerance of each stage must be if you want to get the desired response. 4 or 5 stages (8-10 poles) is about the max I'd want to mess with, and even there you need to hand-pick parts.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Usually completely unnecessary.

A lot of BAD info it would seem if you came to that conclusion.

FYI, I have designed many audio mixing products that have been in volume manufacture and not ONE of them needed explicit *filters* to pass the required EMC tests for CE. Mostly needed just a few extra caps of small value in a few judiciously chosen places. May of those were merely 'belt and braces' too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Errr... Hallo !

If it's audio, the bandwidth will be constrained to audio frequencies, so no filtering will be required.

What antennas ?

Complete nonsense.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

NO.

You've been given very bad, over-the-top and completey erroneous advice.

I'm a pro-audio designer by the way so I damn well ought to know.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Lets all kneel down and bow our heads for Eeyores eternal wisdom and authocracy.

Now shut down this thread. It starts to smell .

Robert

Reply to
Bob Woodward

--- Really???

What do you think the 'T' in

E = sqrt(4kTR df)

is about?

And which do you think will generate more noise: a 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor dissipating 1/2 a watt or a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor dissipating 1/2 a watt?

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Modern audio design doesn't run resistors hot in sensitive gain stages.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

--
Precisely because of the reason poogie stated, which you called
\'complete nonsense\', you utter hypocrite.

NO.

It is complete nonsense when you're talking about dissipating at maximum maybe a few milliwatts in resisitors.

Audio designers don't throw away significant fractions of a watt as heat in resistors. Stop pontificating about stuff you're not familiar with.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have designed audio mixers before.

I always limit the gain at high frequencies using caps in the op-amp feedback cct.

On inputs its always a good idea to have a low value cap to ground to get rid of radio frequencies.

I always put a low value resistor in any outputs from the mixer in case of accidental shorts.

Try to keep any output wiring away from input wiring.

When you split the 9v to get 4v5 use a tantalum and a polyester cap to short out an AC fluctuations.

Reply to
Marra

Not so that it encroaches on the audio band I hope.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

--
Dumb ass, unless you know a trick, the slope of the filter\'s skirts
will either always allow out-of-band signals to encroach on the

So what stage roll-off would you use so that say 10 stages in series is still < -0.3 dB @ 20 kHz ? A worst-case figure for my designs btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore