ATX power supply to drive a 12V DC motor?

In practice, the worst outcome I've seen from huge load mismatches on ATX PSU's is that the unused rail goes to an extreme of of its regulation range - eg; 6A on the 12V rail might bump the (unused) 5V rail up to 5.15V, for example, or heavily loading the 5V rail might drop an unused 12V rail to 11.5V, etc.

Reply to
Lionel

I'm finding a hard time finding a 3AG 10A slow blow fuse locally, none of the electronics stores stock it. The auto electrician has no idea whether a fuse is fast or slow blow. If I choose a fast blow, can there be a potential for damage to the motor incase of a spike? Which car fuse is suitable, a glass fuse or those fuse blades (flat fuses with the plastic end)?

Reply to
MK

If it's a 3AG, it will have a clear glass barrel. Look in there. If there's one wire element from end to end, it's fast-blow. If it's full of springs and bimetallic contacts and other arcane machinery, it's a slow-blow.

It should also be stamped on the end caps - a slow-blow will identify itself as, for example, 10ASB.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich,