dc-dc atx power supply question

I have two of these R100D1205-12TS

I want to use it to run a computer on a car battery. Its a 100 Watt, so I think I can do it. I'll use the first one to power the motherboard and the second one to power the hard drive.

My 2 questins are:

1) Can I just use a resistor to step down the voltage?

2) Do you think I could get away with just using one to power the hard drive and the motherboard?

I realize I have some reading ahead of me to learn som of these basic electronics. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Reply to
the yeti

Going from 5V to 3.3V using a resistor will waste about 35% of the available power. At 5A, the resistor will dissipate something like

8.5W, so it'll get hot. A little SMPS would be better, although more complex.

This depends on the current draw of the mainboard and drive. If you are using an EPIA nano-itx mainboard, you might be able to get away with it.

Why not use a laptop, and charge the battery directly?

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Robert C Monsen

have a look on the via epia motherboard site - they have a mini-itx motherboard that's specifically designed to run off a single 12V supply only, with onboard DC-DC converters. Also see

for other stuff like this.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.
Reply to
andy