AC Synchronous Motor

I want to use a synchronous motor at 120V 50/60Hz. I have a motor that I am using right now and it works fine at 60Hz but starts to swing like a pendulam at 50Hz. I also tried to use a larger capacitor for 50Hz operation but it didnt change the behavior of the motor. Can anyone shed some light as to why this might be happening. How large a capacitor should be used usually if frequency is switched from 60hz to

50Hz. Thanks in advance
Reply to
learnfpga

The manufacturer said that the motor should work at 50/60Hz. Also I been told that you can run a motor at 50/60Hz but the speed will be

5/6th lower compared to at 60Hz which makes sense. Please let me know if anyones come across something like this. Thanks............
Reply to
learnfpga

Its not the capacitor, its the 50 HZ.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

What does "swing like a pendulum" mean in relation to a motor?

If the name plate says it will work of 50/60Hz then it should work. The main issue is the Volt-time product which is a function of voltage and frequency. But, a problem here would cause overheating not erratic operation, or rapid speed variation.

How do you have changeable frequency power available? How do you run at 60 Hz then at 50 Hz without some kind of an inverter or frequency changer. If so, that may be the root of your problem. Bob

Reply to
Bob Eldred