Your Favorite Distributors?

Yeah, I've had that attitude from Arrow too. I just pays to be big I guess.

Reply to
David Eather

Big? They like to make money, sure. It's more likely an issue of "credit". AIUI, there are two ways disties make money off their sales teams. One, they get a credit (kick back), based on eventual sales, no matter where the devices are actually bought. Two, they get pricing help (different kick back ;-) such that it doesn't pay for the customer to buy elsewhere (the disty can then set the pain threshold). Maybe that can't be done with contract designers, since they don't know where stuff is eventually bought.

Reply to
krw

In my company the favorite distributor is usually the one with the hottest sales chick.

Reply to
brent

David Eather Inscribed thus:

I agree ! Arrows attitude sucks, big time. Farnell is just as bad !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

The irony being that stuff I later designed as a contract engineer led to purchases in the millions from distributors - and I had a say in which distributors the company should look to. Arrow was not one of them.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I have only used Farnell for small quantities. In that, they are good.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Inscribed thus:

The irony is that I knew Farnell way way before they became what they are now. But try to get help with parts selection/samples... forget it !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

I have never even tried it!

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Getting help could be an issue how ever, getting samples? I fully understand that reasoning.. Lots of vampires out there. Yes, you all know who I am talking about.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I have the same experience. You first need to buy big to get support. On the other hand you'll need support before you can design something. A bit of a chicken and egg situation.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

For very small values of "big".

They have to have some mechanism to either get credit or guarantee you'll buy from them. If you don't do the manufacturing yourself perhaps that's not possible. As I said in an earlier post, we're doing more and more business with Arrow because they do a better support job and have better prices (I generally figure 60% of DigiKey's web site). Another advantage of the relationship is warning of impending shortages. For example, they've helped us through the tantalum shortages with no production difficulties. Yet.

Reply to
krw

Back in the 1980's there was a company in the uk called macro marketing that did just that. Two young wenches, skinny, long legs, one blonde and one brunette would turn up in a Porche 911 convertable. Nice friendly, decent girls, of course, milud, but a bet they got a lot of business for the company :-).

Fairly unusual in the staid, conservatively unenlightened uk of the time...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Ha Ha the macro girls, I remember them!

I seem to recall one of our guys actually got a date with one of them, but chickened out. Anyway they certainly caused a stir at our company when they visited us,

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It was all faces to the car park window when they turned up, especially in the summer, when the outfits became far more adventurous.

Funny how you remember certain things in lfe, even after 20+ years. I guess show business really does work :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

There was a whole sequence in Dilbert about a vendor with a sales babe. I remember one of the sub-plots was the female engineer complaining bitterly about all the men letting their hormones get the better of their business sense, until someone stuck a picture under her nose and said "this is their service rep, Thor".

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I remember back in the old days at Microsim, they had two gals who would do the dog and pony shows at DAC, etc. Both brunettes, but both very good looking.

One was my boss, the other was the head of sales, and both very technically capable! But I am sure the short skirts helped sales...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

You have to get the marks in the booth before you can make the sale. :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.