Your comments requested...

The name is correct though. Ruth Fertel bought the old Chris Steakhouse in New Orleans in 1965 and didn't want to lose the loyal customers.

The original place was great. Old cafe atmosphere with waitresses in black uniforms and white aprons. They still called everybody honey back than. Now that it is an upscale chain the food is still great but the ambiance has gone to hell.

Reply to
BrotherBart

I've never been to one, for various reasons. Are they as good as their prices reflect?

We have a Shula's Steakhouse here, with $10 "baked" potatoes (actually steamed in foil, tacky as hell) which I've also not been to.

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

It means it's the "Guru's Lair" owned by Don Lancaster.

I know the answer to that one: Ruth purchased a place already named "Chris Steakhouse" and always said that the contract required she keep the name "Chris". (Sounds to me that it was more of a way to save money on a new sign.)

Or the new sign in Ogden, Utah:

Higgins Antique's

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

We have those on every corner....that doesn't already have a Lone Star.

My little town is the Chain Restaurant Capital of Utah.

Kris Get that Arizona fire smoke outta here

Reply to
Kris Baker

Absolutely, positively the best steak you will ever eat in your life. If you don't won't butter ya better tell'em. They broil them at 1800 degrees and they come out on a 500 degree plate slathered in butter.

Reply to
BrotherBart

Then we'll try it, next time we're near one. I tend to hang out in Utah, Idaho and New Mexico....not exactly Ruth's territories.

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:10:02 GMT, Kris Baker muttered something like:

The food is quite good, but they tend to pack the tables in far too closely. For me that's a huge detractor; I don't like paying premium prices to sit elbow-to-elbow with the table next to me, and hear every word of their conversation whether I want to or not.

-Bertha

--
Men are from Earth, women are from Earth.  Deal with it.    -- George Carlin
Reply to

Works just fine on my tongue. Went to one in Columbus OH for my wife's birthday. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

I'm not a web guy, but aren't there non-proprietary ways of accomplishing the same thing? For example, don't CGI and php let you do magic stuff behind the scenes without locking your whole web-site into a proprietary technology controlled by a single company?

Just wondering.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Yes, but after looking at them, .ASP was overwhelmingly better on all counts.

It was not even remotely close.

CGI and php are cruel and inhuman punishment.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Try this: ABC company's parking lot. ABC company's president's parking space. The construct grammatically correct, and clear in meaning.

Don Lancaster may have control over, and responsibility for, numerous places. One of those is named Guru's Lair. Thus the phrase Don Lancaster's Guru's Lair is gramatically correct, and clear in meaning.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The main thing you missed was to delete the post to that shower of plonkers on alt.mentally.deranged.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Excellent comments. I was rolling on the floor for that. How about a different background. Perhaps some stars and planets and an "enterprise" to cruise around.

Rene

--=20 Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar -

& commercial newsgroups -

Rene Tschaggelar

Actually, I didn't find the site to be as bad as all of these people seem to be saying. Admittedly, it's mainly bloggish fluffery, but it's readable, and navigable, and it didn't break my browser.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, then it'd be "Don Lancaster's Gurus' Lair."

--
Cheers!
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,

Since I don't know ASP, but I have Apache on Slackware, for something like that, I'd use "server-side includes". You can recognize them by the .shtml "extension."

Or, go to a full-on CGI script (or even an executable) and just spit out whatever you want the viewer to see.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

CGI is a protocol, not a language. ASP *is* CGI. It's also useless, particularly if combined with VBScript rather than JScript.

ASP.NET is a massive improvement over ASP, but if you just want to get things done, PHP is your man.

Reply to
seani

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:31:36 GMT, Mac muttered something like:

Of course there are. Apache has server side includes. Banner rotation can be done any number of ways.

To be fair, Don did say you needed ASP "or server side equivilant." Fortunately those equivilants are numerous and easy to find.

-Bertha

--
Martouf: Without wanting to sound overly dramatic, the fate of the galaxy
	may be at stake.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:35:17 GMT, Rich Grise muttered something like:

You can also set apache to search for includes in .html files; the extra load on the server is insignificant and you don't have to rename everything if you're adding them to existing pages.

-Bertha

--
"I am Jack\'s broken heart."           -- Narrator, "Fight Club"
Reply to

Whats a modern lair?

A loft with a big TV?

Reply to