Yellow/Orange haze on LCD panel

I've seen this three times now: A laptop LCD display, after a few weeks to few months' use, develops a yellowish orange discoloration around the two sides. The odd thing is that it moves around slowly depending on the position the laptop is stored. Stored with left side down, the haze will migrate to the left (affected by gravity). It gets progressively worse until text cannot be read. Not a subtle effect, and clearly visible on-axis.

I've inquired about this and only ran across one other person who has seen it. Toshiba, the laptop manufacturer, claims they don't know anything about it (even though two panels have been returned in the past--I guess they don't keep track).

Any idea what could cause this?

Reply to
_X_

LCD must have proper spacing between the sheets, or it changes shade. Liquid Crystal Display, it will flow with gravity when the separation is poor. Hope you have screen insurance, it is a bad screen, and Toshiba is on the bottom as far as quality. Could be a poor design that clamps the screen edges with too much force under certain conditions.

Reply to
night soil dalits

This suggests that if the damage isn't permanent (i.e., if it still moves around), it might be worthwhile to loosen the screws that hold the screen in, right?

Reply to
mc

That's the best, and most likely, explanation I've heard. The laptop is under warranty for another month, so I need to nail the problem down now.

When you say "Toshiba is on the bottom as far as quality" do you mean their LCD screens or the entire laptop? I'm thinking about buying a spare laptop. Any recommended brands?

Reply to
_X_

No, You Don't - You need to take it to the shop for a Repair or a Refund!! The how and why and wherefore speculation is entirely irelevant and will only be used by the seller to drag out meeting the warranty commitments. "This does not work, Fix It Now" is entirely adequate.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Yes, it's going back to the shop. Unfortunately the problem has occurred on a previous laptop of the same model and I've also had the current laptop's LCD changed under warranty once. This is the 3rd time it has happened. No obvious reason, except possibly carrying it around with left/right side down (I alternate, as that side will end up yellowish).

I wish I could get a refund, but the problem on the current laptop waited 9 months to recur.

So...if I don't find the source of the problem, it will occur again on the newly replaced LCD panel AFTER I'm out of warranty. Then I'm screwed.

Reply to
_X_