I2C monitor

Hi,

I have been thinking about how to connect to I2C bus, so that I can see whole activity going on. Maybe I should set the max speed requirement to

400k but the highest speed of about 3.5M would be nice.

Those analyzers are very expensive - over $1000. What makes them so expensive? Would it be possible to connect high impedance probe to SDA and SCL lines and write a program for FPGA to read them and transfer data to PC using USB? What kind of probe would be needed (consisting which parts)? I have the Logic, which is quite nice and was not very expensive. It knows I2C and SPI but it can just analyze.

I would like also to be able to send stuff from PC to I2C lines.

Although a full solution would be highly appreciated :-)) I am after main points. Which components to use and how to implement high impedance two way connection to SDA and SCL lines.

I hope this is not too vague....

Best Regards Kari

--
PIC - ARM - Microcontrollers - I2C - SPI
Keypads - USB-RS232 - USB-I2C - Accessories

I use the Intronix Logicport USB logic analyzer for this. It includes templates to set up interpreters for I2C (along with SPI, async, and CAN serial protocols). It should run up to the limit of the analyzer's speed. You can download the interface software from

and run it in demo mode without the actual hardware piece. The Examples directory includes I2C.

For this I'd just do up a small microcontroller that has an I2C peripheral on one end and a UART for communications to a PC on the other.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Oscilloscope?

John

Thanks! Went to my list of things to buy...when money arrives.... :-) Do anyone have an idea how this thing is implemented?

OF COURSE - how stupid of me - it does not have to be same probe for input and output...

Best Regards Kari

Reply to
Kari Laine

You may be able to get a decent logic analyzer for that.

Lack of sales?

Kari, have you looked over:

?

If so, can you describe what they don't do there that you feel a need to have?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan