worldwide internet threat map

So don't transport the malware to them.

lunatic fringe electronics

Unfortunately there are a lot of them about and you cannot legislate against stupidity. Some MS products have a bad tendency to fall victim to buffer overrun attacks that are all too easy. Speed vs security you have to choose one or the other. It is a bit odd really since modern PCs are now way faster than most domestic end users will ever need. There are belated attempts to improve things in the more recent compilers and libraries but there is a heck of a lot of useful but insecure legacy code about. It only takes a well crafted malformed file to break them.

Disconnecting them from the internet completely would do that.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Working out that a proposal represents uninformed hand-waving is a lot easier than coming up with scheme that might work.

It's still well worth doing.

Ill-conceived schemes that can't ever work have wasted a great deal of time and money - the war on drugs does come to mind - and mocking them before they get traction is a decidedly constructive activity.

Since what you want is the admiration you can gather by posting click-bait, this comes as no surprise. If you had any ambition to do something actually admirable, you wouldn't be wasting your time and ours bleating about matters you don't understand.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This turns out to be technically difficult - a point that you seem to be unwilling to take on board. It would be nice if you could notice when you get caught talking about matters you don't understand, and shut up.

It would be even nicer if you did the work required to get some understanding of the problems for which you have posted click-bait non-solutions, but that would probably require a brain implant.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Packet snooping is ultimately useless when the packets are encrypted and/or the 'malware' payload is similarly encrypted/obfuscated.

Pretty much the only time the malware reveals itself is when it deploys by which time it's too late unless the AV software catches it.

--
Cheers,

Chris.
Reply to
Chris

So how about you give us the magic algorithm that distinguishes malware fro m anything else on the Internet?

I don't know why anyone responds to you on this thread. You clearly have n o idea of what you are talking about. What you are suggesting is like sayi ng we need to build cars and roads that won't hurt people in accidents. Ye ah, let's prevent accidents from happening by building better cars and road s. We've pretty much done as much as we can do and over 30,000 still die e ach year in the US in auto accidents. Good improvement, but far from elimi nating the problem as you are suggesting we do with malware.

You don't actually have any ideas on this. You have a complete misconcepti on and won't listen to anyone who tries to explain it to you. God, you mus t be hard to work for.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

rom anything else on the Internet?

no idea of what you are talking about. What you are suggesting is like sa ying we need to build cars and roads that won't hurt people in accidents. Yeah, let's prevent accidents from happening by building better cars and ro ads. We've pretty much done as much as we can do and over 30,000 still die each year in the US in auto accidents. Good improvement, but far from eli minating the problem as you are suggesting we do with malware.

tion and won't listen to anyone who tries to explain it to you. God, you m ust be hard to work for.

Writing this post made me think about a total dick head I once worked for w ho would make snap decisions based on little or wrong information. Once I was working on a coworker's computer when he was out for the day. We were on a time critical project and he told me to use his machine as it was near ly as fast as the servers we had for doing FPGA design work. I'm banging a way at the keyboard and my boss comes in, probably because I was in someone else's office and he felt he needed to know why. I explained this to him and he looked under the desk to see a computer case he recognized. He said that was not a fast machine, he had one a year ago and it was a dog so I s hould use the servers. I explained that I didn't know anything about the m achine he had used, but I was clearly told by my coworker (who was not insa ne) that this was a very fast machine and there was little point in my usin g one of the servers, plus I had not used them before and was not familiar with the details. To him this was a direct confrontation and he belligeren tly ordered me to use a server. I spent the rest of the day chasing the gu y who could get me on the server but was always far to busy to do low level things like this. He was actually one of the more senior engineers.

That was a crazy place. If John runs his company the way he talks about ot her topics he would make this guy seem like a management expert.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit