egedly

gular

ding

or

ces a

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com- Hide quoted text -

I don't think there is a Sagnac effect. It is just an interferometer topology. You split the beam and send it both ways through the coil of fiber. (or a ring of mirrors.) And then combind the beams again. If there is rotation about the axis of the coil then the two path lengths (clockwise vs CCW) are different and you get a change in the interference. I've always wanted to try and measure the Earth's rotation this way.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

allegedly

Except that the phase shift is independent of the refractive index, so that doesn't work.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

in message

.

started

allegedly

angular

heading

e for

oduces a

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0"The Journey is the reward"

://

.speff.com-Hide quoted text -

You don't need the coil of fiber to make a Sagnac, just mirrors will work. It's pretty easy to work out the sensitivity to absolute rotation. (At least I did it once.) It goes as the angular velocity time the area enclosed by the beams times the number of 'turns'. (which is why a coil of fiber lets you win big time.)

We've got a Sagnac on a table top with about a 1 square meter area. I think I estimated that we could see rotations of something like 10 rpm.

George H.

Oh, or are you saying that measuring the Earth's rotation is hard. (I'm just wondering how I'm going to stop the Earth so I can find my 'zero'.)

t- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:35:36 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Rotate in same direction at 1 period per true day.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

message

allegedly

angular

heading

produces a

quoted text -

Flip it over.

A good FOG has bias stability maybe an order of magnitude better than you need to see the earth's rotation.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You completely lost me there - the phase shift should be completely independent of the refractive index, dependent only on rate of rotation, in order to work! And any dependence on index of refraction only needs to be known in order to be compensated for.

That works. Measuring very slow rotations optically is not easy, but is done all the time in both fiber and ring optical gyros. There was a lot published on the details a few decades ago when I still read the SPIE Journal, the most interesting thing being the discovery of a stick-slip friction effect between the counter rotating beams, which would phase lock with each other at very small rotations, making small rotation rates undetectable. The solution was to run the counter-rotating beams at different frequencies, adding a few MHz (IIRC) to one side before injecting it in the loop and then comparing the interference signal from the combined beam detector to the frequency offset signal.

Speaking of interferometry, there was an interesting article in June 9 Laser Focus Workd,

INTERFEROMETRY Emerging applications push receivers to higher speeds OVIDIO ANTON Newport Corp.

Use of autobalanced detectors to monitor the sample and reference beams of an interferometric system delivers high bandwidth with improved gain and reduced noise for applications such as optical coherence tomography. ... We developed the ?Nirvana? autobalanced receiver based on Hobbs? work at IBM. (P. Hobbs, US Patent 5,134,276)

Just in case we were not far enough off topic yet :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert

You have to take them up to the upper atmosphere in an aircraft then dive to simulate zero gravity or they don't work so well.

Reply to
Ian Field

It would be interesting to take some really sensitive nanovolt-level instrument and see if it's g-sensitive. I think most analog ICs are in fact stress sensitive; I've seen it in DACs and opamps.

John

g.

way.

=BDfrance started

is allegedly

any angular

he heading

wire for

produces a

ls,

mp.

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD ...Jim Thompson

se

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD"The Journey is the reward"

=BD =EF=BF=BD Info for manufacturers:

=BF=BD

text -

ferometer

=EF=BF=BDIf there

Duh, Thanks. I keep thinking of mirrors on a bread board and not fibers.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

message

started

allegedly

angular

heading

produces a

quoted text -

No, it's that the Doppler shift explanation doesn't work because if it did, building a Sagnac in a medium of refractive index n would give n times the fringe shift, and it doesn't.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

.

ay.

rance started

s allegedly

ny angular

e heading

ire for

produces a

s,

p.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0"The Journey is the reward"

tp://

ww.speff.com-Hidequoted text -

er

ere

ty

t- Hide quoted text -

Doppler shift? It's just a path length difference. (At least that's how I see it.)

I like to think about it with three mirrors and a beam splitter. Wow we even have a picture,

If the whole thing is rotating then the photons going one way hit the mirrors sooner and get around the loop faster (in less time). There's certainly a pathlength difference that can be identified. (But I'll leave that as an exercise :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

in message

started

allegedly

angular

heading

for

produces a

manufacturers:

text -

If you do the math from that point of view, you get an expression that depends on the speed of light in the surrounding medium, i.e. on the refractive index. This is contradicted by experiment. Try it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ote

nce

=A0 =3D

=A0 =3D

http=3D

/www=3D

ther=3D

.

ty

)

That's wierd! Phase lock around the whole fiber?

Is there a good phrase to search with?

The solution was to run the counter-rotating beams at

-

Cool, Is that patent still active?

This is the topic of the thread.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

ng.

away.

=A0 =A0france started

his allegedly

any angular

the heading

wire for

r produces a

els,

ump.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

ese

=A0 =A0"The Journey is the reward"

eter

there

.

so

city

=A0I

.net-Hide quoted text -

's

OK I stick pieces of glass between the mirrors, that doesn't look like it makes a lot of difference. Both beams go through the same pieces of glass.

I can still see a path length difference.. I can just do ray optics can't I?

George H.

(don't toy with me Phil, you're a lot smater than I am.)

Reply to
George Herold

It expired last October. John L and I are working on an updated version.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Late at night, by candle light, Ollie B. Bimmol penned this immortal opus:

Weren't the holes in Albert Hall?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.