Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

Network Rail have spent billions upgrading and improving a system that was run into the ground during WW2 and was then simply patched up for decades by BR, who, as everyone old enough will remember, ran such a fantastic, clean, punctual service with helpful, friendly staff (*NOT*)

If company X sells cheaper tickets for a slower, stopping service then clearly you cannot use that ticket to travel along the same line on a faster service which charges higher prices. You, the passenger have to choice. With BR you had no choice.

Reply to
Andrew

What kind of gibberish word salad is that supposed to be?

You are clueless wanker. Kindly stop posting nonsense about stuff you don't understand.

Fits you perfectly.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

That's not what my electricity company is saying to me

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Payment Plan Budget Direct Debit (Monthly) About my Direct Debit Monthly payment amount £265 (collected on 23rd of each month) My unit rates Electricity day unit rate: 50.60p per kWh Electricity night unit rate: 8.59p per kWh Daily standing charge: 43.76p per day

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what they thought in the 1950s, thus the F-4 didn't originally have a gun. Vietnam proved that assumption was incorrect.

The F-16 is a fast jet fighter and is used for ground attack (and the F-35 will be used when the last A-10s are retired).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Do generators absorb power? That sounds kinda oxymoronish.

What is the field coil for? What does it do?

Have you ever governed a megawatt-class generator by adjusting the steam valve and the field current by hand, youself?

The thermal time constant of a big boiler, with its many parts, is long, minutes at least. The feedwater is already hot. You can cut the flames instantly but if you soon after shut off the steam outlet valves, you will blow a safety.

Blowing a safety valve is a very big deal. Expect a lot of paperwork.

I once saw a safety valve being tested. Fun, since I had nothing to do but watch. And listen. There were so many official witnesses they were hard to pack into the engine room.

The star of the show was the guy standing next to the valve with a wrench. He had a lot of interesting scars.

So you are paying 8.59p for 7 hours (Economy 7) Standard variable tariff is capped by the government.

Reply to
Andrew

TI, and others, have cheap 2 and 3 channel delta-sigma ADCs intended for use in smart meters. Many have on-chip dc/dc converters to power the isolated-side bits. They measure temperature too. Small quantity prices are under $10 and they are do doubt much cheaper at 50 million pieces.

One of these would monitor a DC supply for current and voltage.

Before smart meters, ours was read once a month and it certainly took more than 30 seconds per meter.

In many neighborhoods the meter reader would drive between houses. Ours could walk the block.

Some houses here have a tiny window on the front, with the meter behind that. Some apartments have all the meters in the basement and the meter guy had a key.

Ironically in the US the northeastern states with LNG facilities have at times bought it from Gazprom. A law from the last century meant to protect the maritime industry states cargo between domestic ports must be carried on US owned and operated ships. afaik there isn't a LNG tanker meeting the requirements. That's part of the incentive to sell LNG to Europe.

The northeast could be supplied via pipelines but good luck building a pipeline in that area.

Reply to
rbowman

It helps to have a spare nose when you cut yours off to spite your face.

Reply to
rbowman

Nobody was trying to "spite their face". It was just what turned out to have been feckless optimism.

Part of the problem was Putin's success at getting Trump elected president of the US, which persuaded him that he could get away with the invasion of the Ukraine.

Putin had been nibbling away at the Ukraine for years, without provoking enough of an international response to discourage him. Sadly it made him over-confident, and the natural gas shortage was part of the international reaction when he got obnoxious enough to provoke economic sanctions.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

IIRC, there are two caps. One (about 34p) is what your supplier can charge a domestic customer and is a special, temporary cap, while the other is the permanent cap related to predicted gas prices and the normal limit for what companies can charge (possibly about 50p). While the special cap is in place and lower than the normal cap, you will pay the special cap rate.

Reply to
SteveW

Ah, you are paying a higher than cap day rate, because you are getting a lower night rate. For average consumption level and pattern, that should still average out at 34p per unit over the full 24 hours.

Reply to
SteveW

Yes. They may be bad now, but it used to take 9 to 12 months to get a phone line connected to your house; train services were unusable (I well remember during the weeks of my finals, every train being cancelled and having to get there by other means and months of three trains in a row cancelled, so no room on the next one to run).

Reply to
SteveW

We didn't need the quantity of gas that was available to us in the summer and had little spare storage. The EU had few port facilities for importing it, but lots of storage. It made sense for them to import via pipelines, from the UK, using the UK's port facilities.

Reply to
SteveW

Does it f*ck

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vietnam was never about modern fast jet fighter planes and plane launched fire and forget anti aircraft missiles with a range of hundreds of miles hadn't even been invented yet.

But both are fly by wire with full computer control. nothing even remotely like F1 racing

Reply to
Rod Speed

It would if you were an average user, with an average spread of use during the day. Much of your use at 50p and the rest at 8.5p.

For us it doesn't work, despite having an EV. With a family of 5, doing lots of washing, drying and cooking that can't be shifted into the night, the bulk at at the higher rate and charging the car overnight, would leave us worse off than just doing everything, when we want, at the 34p rate.

Reply to
SteveW