Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

The majority of the population regard politicians as incompetent. Why would anyone want them to also run our utilities and railways?

In my local area many people blame the Tory council for recently awarding bad private contracts. They don't seem to realise that it is the Labour/Liberal partnership that is in control, and has been for many years :)

Reply to
alan_m

Salt water batteries look promising.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Funny how our power grid gets more and more reliable. It didn't get worse as we started adding green power.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's high time wood was banned for burning. It's a f****ng choking stink from my neighbour's one. I've reported him three times, he's had to raise and move the chimney at great expense. He doesn't talk to me any more. He's got a f****ng gas boiler, why does he need to go back to the dark ages?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The German card?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Germany still has a manufacturing industry and exports stuff. Thatcher made sure that the UK hasn't and doesn't export much at all. This meant that the Germans had lot more political and economic clout than the UK, and people like the Natural Philopsopher resented this, and thought that getting the UK out of the EU would change things for the better. In reality it made it harder for the UK to sell stuff to it's major trading partners, and made things worse. Right wing lunatics don't pay attention to details like that. They do go in for a lot of lies and duplicity, but the Natural Philosopher believes their lies.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

No, it rotates. Or maybe the whole universe rotates?

Isn't there something to do with rotation and magnets and the core which makes more heat?

Maybe that's why we're slowing down.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

WTF? If you insulate something, it loses very little heat. You put in what you lose, and it stays the same temperature.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I understood this was due to tidal friction, which happens even without loose water. It is unlikely that the Moon, however it was acquired, arrived with no rotation relative to the Earth.

Has anyone considered whether the energy being absorbed from the wind by millions of turbines around the world is affecting the global climate? Now that would be a good laugh.

Reply to
Joe

The temperature doesn't drop if it's well insulated.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

He's an idiot, he's trying to keep the heat for 6 months. The boilers under discussion need to keep hot only for hours.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It cools off slowly. When I measured mine, it had thermal time constant of 36 hours, which is to say that if it was 35C above ambient when I turned off the boiler it would be only 12.9C above ambient after 36 hours.

A steam boiler has got to stay hot enough that the vapour pressure of water is 200 psi. It's nothing like a tractor tyre.

Gas pressure is proportional to absolute temperature. The vapour pressure above liquid water is an exponential function of absolute temperature

It wouldn't drop at all if it were perfectly insulated. Real insulation isn't perfect and real temperatures drops slowly, but they do drop.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I'm never that stupid. You clearly have has sweet f*ck all to do with those involved in theoretical physics as a career.

Definitely in uk.d-i-y

Years ago, maybe even a decade ago now, but I am hopeless at estimating when things happened in the past.

It should show up in groups.google but I find that impossible to use even with stuff I am absolutely certain is in there. For some reason it is nowhere near a brilliant as google itself.

Complicated by the fact that he changed his nick much more then.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Probably no difference to flying a fast jet fighter plane and both the UK and US air forces have an increasing number of female pilots in that role.

Reply to
alan_m

I have. And yes you're too stupid to agree with anyone.

Anyone with grey matter between the ears would know this is not a binary group.

I didn't expect you to come up with the goods. His true name is Peter Hucker, so not sure why the identities of his socks matter?

Reply to
Fredxx

I'd say it was more like a factor of 7x rather than 10x but you have missed the crucial point that the UK was in a really stupid position. We have almost no gas UK storage capacity ~10 days so are in effect always buying on the spot market (they doubled it by un-moth balling a facility just in time for the winter price peak).

The main reason that UK electricity is so high is that the price we pay for our electricity is directly linked to the price of gas (which is the final demand matching fast response gas turbine kit).

It got so bad that the government had to cap the retain price and various firms selling to consumers went bust when their cost to buy energy on the spot market exceeded the price they were contracted to sell it for. We have been forced to buy electricity in at usurious prices because our ageing infrastructure isn't up to the job.

£9,724 per MWhr is all time record. I suspect they only did it because it was the SE that was affected. NE or NW and they'd have just let it drop storm Arwen style.

UK gas price is incredibly volatile since the Russian invasion of Ukraine but it was pretty bad the previous year when high energy users like fertiliser plants held the government to ransom over rising energy costs.

It was 46p/therm in Feb 21, 188p in Feb 22 and peaked at 356p in Aug 23

Last summer we were exporting gas to Europe for storage as fast as it could be offloaded from LNG tankers. Our miniscule storage capacity was already brim full (all 10 days of it). Most EU countries have storage capacity of between 60 and 90 days winter usage. We were damn lucky that it wasn't a particularly hard winter or the UK would have frozen!

Reply to
Martin Brown

But wasn't most of our gas storage facilities run down because of a lack of future investment because gas was no longer needed in the green revolution?

North sea facilities (including massive gas storage) have been rapidly de-commissioned in the past 5 to 10 years as it is perceived that there will be no return for future investment when all our energy come from renewable sources and, if the various lobby groups get there way, oil and gas are banned!

Reply to
alan_m

When they rightly decide that the privateers are rapacious.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Very different actually. Modern fast jet fighter planes are about firing missiles that take down another plane quite literally hundreds of miles away without ever seeing it.

And ground attack doesnt use fast jet fighter planes.

And it remains to be seen how well they perform when it comes to the crunch.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Welcome to green-land.