interleaved A/D

I had a conversation of A/D converters recently, we speculated on the fastest topology, it must be interleaved sampling.

In principle, one could interleave without limit; go to higher and higher time resolutions, attain proportionately higher sampling rates. What's the limit, in practice, given an unlimited budget?

We must assume a quantization, let's say 6 bits, but you might suggest another.

Reply to
RichD

Am 18.03.23 um 23:18 schrieb RichD:

Keysight has a 100 GHz BW scope with interleaved samplers IIRC.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

søndag den 19. marts 2023 kl. 00.04.19 UTC+1 skrev Gerhard Hoffmann:

Keysight UXR-Series, MSRP "only" $1.3mill

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I don't know what the actual limits are, but the two issues are jitter on the clock, and the sampling window. We like to think in absolutes, but even the fastest sample and hold has a timing window.

Reply to
Ricky

Since A/D converters are not identical, they might produce slightly different digital values even from a steady analog voltage. Thus you might get at least 1 LSB high square wave from a constant input. Thus adding sufficient dither is critical.

Reply to
upsidedown

I suspect so, also that's what the fastest oscilloscopes do.

I remeber seeing traces branching and fanning out to 64 or some other crazy number of ADCs

Reply to
Jasen Betts

This is solvable by calibration, at the expense of a minor part of the full scale (say twice the worst case error you want to correct). I did something similar to get integral nonlinearity from 2-3% down to below an LSB for a 13 bit convertor ...nearly

30 years ago...(can't be true that time passed, can it).

The real issue is the one Rick talked about, sampling window/accuracy and of course clock jitter. And budget... :).

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Go on.

Cheers