Win11 repair

OK, I fixed it, with help from Youtube.

One has to "repair" the Microsoft Photos app. On a brand new machine!

Reply to
john larkin

They use Linux or something like that instead of Windows.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I do not know about that, just got a win 11 machine 2 days ago. It will not let me set Google as the default broser. Every time I start Google it ask me if I want to set it as the default.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

lørdag den 14. oktober 2023 kl. 00.58.12 UTC+2 skrev Ralph Mowery:

seems you can't use google search either... first hit:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hard to switch venders when they are the only one making the equipment.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It boils to the truth that user interface is a real time system. Programmers that are actually capable of making real time systems work, are never assigned to such a low level job.

Groetjes Albert

Reply to
albert

Wasn't having multiplr processors supposed to provide some kind of order in process queue issues?

TaskInfo - my goto process monitor - is confused by W11 reporting on CPU activity. Running four separate crunching tasks for World Community Grid (BOINC)at 20-25% CPU occupancy each nets a 6$ CPU summarey occupancy on a quad processor. This doesn't add up no matter what justifications are put forward.

Same program and quad processor on W7 could at least add.

No trouble recognizing keystrokes until an MS Office or other MS programmes are attempted - then they and anything else running is at the mercy of some nincompoop in wherever.

RL

Reply to
legg

But the big annoying Win11 OS updates are applied after a cold boot so there is nothing but their &*@$&%£~* updater running and it still gives utterly meaningless answers for % complete.

If there is resource competition then time to execute code can be very tricky particularly if it messes up assumptions about cache. It is particularly bad for code with big data that only just fits in main memory.

But at boot time that is a given for the OS updater.

I think it is a throwback to the sysmodal priority of OS/2.

The other pet hate I have is when there is an email server glitch on some email clients the OAuth2 password challenge popup window appears

*behind* all other open windows where you can't even see it!

No more emails will flow until you find the damn window and respond to it. This can be when you next reboot.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I bought a cheep wireless keyboard and mouse for a win 11 computer I just bought. Is it win 11 that the mouse is jerkey moving around on the screen and the keyboard sometime takes a few seconds to respond ? Or is it the cheep keyboard and mouse ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I can't answer your question directly, Ralph. But, I can tell you that I have a new computer that came with wireless mouse and keyboard and it works beautifully.

Reply to
John Smiht

mandag den 16. oktober 2023 kl. 16.53.58 UTC+2 skrev Ralph Mowery:

it is the cheap keyboard and mouse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Except I came in this morning and it doesn't work any more. Maybe Microsoft did an update and broke the regtistry patch.

Reply to
john larkin

Have not tried it with a wired mouse. My win 10 cmputers work fine with other mice. I thought I was getting a Logitech but looking at it see it is a similar looking off brand.

Going to try a real Logitech when I get to the store.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There has been a 'need' for utility tools by others as far back as the old Radio Shack computers ( TRS 80 ) and the first computers using Microsoft. Seems that in over 45 years that has not changed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Paint or solitary is not, but a copy command should be and some other things that are used only to work with the disk.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery