Mordac

Several of my customers seem to have this guy running their IP departments. I can't email them zip files, exe files, or sometimes even Word files. They often can't access an FTP site, or Dropbox either. One customer's IT "quarantines" my emails if they suspect the attachments, and doesn't tell the recipient. I have to send a second email to him to let him know what's happening, and he has to then plead with IT to get it.

With one customer, I can rename a .ZIP file to .ZAP, and that gets through.

Does anybody have sneaky ways to send files to people, that would maybe evade The Preventer?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Most systems will allow an unrecognised suffixes...... Dot XYZ will do, (or ZAP)so long as the recipient knows what to rename it to. simples.

Reply to
TTman

Seems reasonable to me. There is way too much hostile stuff out there and the average office monkey clicks on things just for the hell of it.

The only bit that is wrong is that the recipient is not notified that an email has been quarantined as possibly hostile.

Their defences are not very good then (ie pathetic). Any half decent defensive screening software will recognise ZIP files from their header content. This is probably why your Word docs get quarantined too.

If you send them as Word97 they should get through unscathed.

Try Word97 for documents first. UUencode is probably ancient enough that you will get that through most modern corporate filters as well.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Have had some success in the past with password protected zip files. In that case the blocker was unzipping the files and blocking it because of the included executable. The password blocked that process. Won't help if they summarily block anything they can't decode. Same goes for encrypting the files.

You can run an http file server and email links to the files. Essentially, your own dropbox. But that opens up a whole mess of security/confidentiality issues.

If your problems are few in number, ask the recipient to contact his IT department and determine a solution that lets HIM get his job done.

Reply to
mike

Use a Yahoo/Gmail account. I've never seen it fail... the irony is as thick as cheese...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Post then on a ftp site.

Martin Riddle

I use FTP for anything over 10MB (total encoded), as many E-mail providers now bounce anything larger.

Just use a password-protected site _and_ encrypt the data as well. ...Jim Thompson

there are numerous free filesharing sites, and many instantmessaging system will transfer files

ftp isn't so great, password are in cleartext and in many places you cannot access ftp, only http allowed

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Mordac prevents them accessing that, too.

One biggish customer has in-house wi-fi with the same restrictions. So you walk down the block to Starbucks...

Actually, I've never been able to get on their wi-fi.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Send it to their home email, or put it on your public web page so they can find it with Google. ;)

Renaming zips usually works.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

=3Dcus...

Great idea! send TEXT email to your client telling them to pick up whatever you want them to get, asking for confirmation of receipt of notifying email. That way, if they have problem they can bother their IT person.

I have had attachment rejection without notification problems forever! Thus, we install a rule, either I, or the client recipient, MUST always close the loop and send back a confirmation. Only one person does the confirming, else ...you get the idea. Sine it's a hardship for clients to do that, plus they're paying me, I usually do the confirmations.

The nuisance extends a bit with several govt clients! Their fire wall simply takes one look at a zipped .file and if it sees anything in there, like .exe file; the email evaporates without ANYONE being told. To get around that: The following works *IF* they accept zip files at all. I simply RENAME every file that goes into the zip a *.txt file app1.exe becomes app1exe.txt application2.exe becomes application2exe.txt ...and so on

After renaming, zip them all up, so when the server looks through the directory of the zip file it only sees .txt files and lets the attachment through. Afterall it can't tell a .exe file that's been zipped from a regular .txt file that's been zipped.

Now, several won't let *any* .zip through, but will let .doc and .pdf through. But to get through that takes a 'knowledgeable' receiver. Strange since a .doc or .pdf can be just as dangerous as a .zip

Reply to
Robert Macy

Doesn't "IT" stand for "Intelligence Terminated"? .PIZ files went straight thru Atmel. As far as I know, there's no legitimate file extension PIZ :-) ...Jim Thompson

=3Dcus...

ed text -

In my humble opinion, "I.T" is the janitorial work of engineering. They have no business restricting anything since by and large, they have no clue what they are doing.

Seriously, I know one major telecom firm that locks out their own W-2 engineers from the very systems they were hired to monitor and service. ...Yet contractors and outside consultants can VPN to their heart's desire. Companies like these deserve to crumble... eventually.

Reply to
mpm

Then plop the file on a http site. include the directory in the robots.txt file so the crawlers don't index it. Password protect the file, and make the directory name some hash, like \web\cfd\djient8edneje\ Use a different hash for each customer.

Martin Riddle

ts=3Dcus...

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

A quick search here says:

Interesting that PIZ is a renamed zip file. Perhaps you are not the first to think of that?

PIZ Pizzicato Music Score (ARPEGE sprl) PIZ Renamed Zip File PIZ Pizza Connection 2 Saved Game (Virgin Interactive Entertainment) PIZZA Unknown Apple II File (found on Golden Orchard Apple II CD Rom)

Reply to
mpm

=3Dcus...

Flash drive in the mail?

Sneaker net. Send it to a home account and he/she can sneaker it in to work.

They don't call them sneakers for nothing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ts=3Dcus...

oted text -

years and years ago we used to make fun of the 'geek' accountants. They reported straight to the Pres and caused so many problems and wre, quite frankly nerds. Now, today The CFO is often the MOST respected man in the most important position in the company.

Today, we tend to ridicule the IP people, think of them as geeks, not quite in touch with our Product Development, a 'necessary' evil, not part of the main stream of the company at all and report directly to the Pres.. Bet you as industry matures, the next step will be the CIP, will make or break a firm and become, along with the the CFO, the two most powerful and important people in a firm.

And again, no wagering at home.

Reply to
Robert Macy

For a few dollars they could set up a guest wifi connected to their DMZ.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

As long as it's a brown parcel envelope and not a white envelope.

White envelopes go through the mail sorting machines, which assume that letters are flexible. The paper path is far from straight, and anything solid like a flash drive will rip through the envelope and wind up in the postal lost and found with 1000 others that look just like it.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

[untested]

cat input.file | tr a-zA-Z A-Za-z > output.file

On the receiving end, exchange "input.file" and "output.file" (obviously, picking "output.file" to be something innocuous)

This should work even if the contents of the file are examined by the filter.

(if the channel is not 8bit clean, then uuencode(1) would be a better option)

Reply to
Don Y