Win11 repair

I just "upgraded" from Windows 7 to 11. The new PC is a lot faster running Spice.

But the File Explorer is a horror. When I drag/drop a file, the cursor becomes a giant ugly icon. When I copy a file where a copy already exists, I have to go through a secondary dialog to compare file attributes.

If I right-click on a file, simple things like delete and rename are a secondary operation!

So, does anyone use a Classic Shell type add-on to get things back to simple? Our IT consultant doesn't want me to do that, but the W11 stuff is a horror.

A new PC is a traumatic life event.

Reply to
john larkin

I use Classic shell on 10 with out any issues. But I dont know about 11, cs was out of dev, dunno if they are actively back in development.

Martin Rid

onsdag den 11. oktober 2023 kl. 00.05.15 UTC+2 skrev john larkin:

select and hit delete ? click name to highlight and type new name?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Grumble. I'll have to re-train all my instincts.

Reply to
john larkin

Does it fix the drag-drop and right-click issues?

The giant icon instead of a cursor is especially weird.

Reply to
john larkin

onsdag den 11. oktober 2023 kl. 01.00.07 UTC+2 skrev john larkin:

it's been like that for as far as can remember

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

restores the familiar <right click> popup menu, for the current user. The popup menu adjustment and additional alterations are available at:

Danke,

Reply to
Don

The registry patch worked!

1e6 thanks.
Reply to
john larkin

Who or what is this a a SOB? It appears that his only purpose is to waste bandwith and air, and annoy everyone. Could someone get his location and send Vito to, er, have a little talk with him?

Reply to
John Smiht

REALLY? Win SEVEN?? I think you need to upgrade your computers more than once a decade!

Reply to
Flyguy

Probably a rather simple bot or a clueless f****it with delusions of adequacy - take your pick. He is precisely what your kill file is for!

I'm inclined to think that you are one of his sock puppets since you cannot spell your own name correctly Mr Smiht (sic).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Got my mother's W7 to W11 'upgrade' to fairly resemble previous GUI prefs using the shell and other powershell manipulations, last October.

I thought that Edge had been expunged, only to find it has self-reinstalled itself almost exactly 12 months later. Previous uninstall work still exist and uninstall mthod finds later version (117.0.2045.60) doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

While present, it nobbles all non-MS browser activity. Perhaps I should take out Chrome too - left it in as a last resort in negotiating chrome-only web sites.

This is definitely NOT a new PC.

RL

Reply to
legg

It is a bit sad that you have to attack the registry with a flint axe to make Win11 more comfortable to use though. Some of their "improvements" make things much harder to do and for no good reason.

My pet hate was the ribbon interface on Office 2007 it drove experienced users nuts! Give me that annoying "clippy" thing back any day!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Clearly some of the old ui stuff is still there. They just make them hard to enable.

I can't get W11 to associate Jpegs with Irfanview. Microsoft insists that I use their ugly viewer.

I can drag/drop a jpeg onto the Irfanview icon, now that I actually have an Irfanview icon.

But not from a pic on a phone.

All too weird.

Reply to
john larkin

I just took some whiteboard pics with my phone. The Win11 jpeg viewer says they are corrupt and won't open them. Irfanview works fine.

If I rename an icon on my desktop, it jumps around the screen.

Don't those idiots at Microsoft use their own OS? Masybe not!

Reply to
john larkin

Search google and download FileTypesMan or Types. They will allow you to edit file type associations (and a few other things).

Reply to
John May

Didn't Irfanview offer you the option to make it the default viewer for various file types as it installed?

If anything Win11 is more configurable than any previous version it is just that they have hidden the interface more thoroughly!

You want settings apps>default apps

Change windows naff viewer to the one you prefer. Likewise for any other file types you want. I use VLC instead of Meeja viewer

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can't find a way in Win11, or in the latest Irfanview, to associate jpeg with an app. It always uses their ugly viewer.

The file association function in Irfanview says "use the system file associatons."

Maybe there is a registry edit.

Reply to
john larkin

fredag den 13. oktober 2023 kl. 18.48.15 UTC+2 skrev john larkin:

right click a jpeg file, select "open with"- >"Choose another app"

pick an app and tick the box that says "Always use this app to open JPG files"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That works.

That doesn't.