WIN XP and DOS Emulation

What is the trick to getting my old DOS programs to run under WIN XP? Some work some don't. For example with WIN98 I could run all DOS programs very well including some radio programming software that although the serial interface was too fast to read/write a radio, I could edit codeplugs with the "UBer" computer and use my slow 486 to program the radios.

Now these same programs don't seem to do anything except open a dos window.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Most of the time, it is because OS/2-WinNT based software, namely Windows 2000 and Windows XP, limit direct access to hardware or there is an expectation in the program for a specific memory interface, ie: extended ram, expanded ram, himem.sys, emm386.sys.... or there is an expectation of certain interrupt in dos that maybe modified under the OS/2-WinNT environment.

You might try a program called DosBox found at

It allows you to run some of those programs that won't run under the Windows CMD or Command Prompt. It works for some old programs that I still like to use.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

DOSBox is one of several solutions listed here:

JeffM

You could also try Microsoft Virtual PC with DOS installed, thats provided you have a copy of DOS to install. VPC is a free download from MS.

Reply to
The Real Andy

DOSBox is a great DOS emulator that allows me to run all my old DOS legacy apps, and would actually give you proper access to your serial ports. For old legacy apps, you just need to keep the port settings to

9600 baud or below. There are still ini files in use in Windows, you know. That is where the serial port settings are kept at and referred to from.

LargeMarge

.

You can upgrade to Linux. Dos programs work very nicely under "dosemu" on Linux. "dosemu" even does nice things like make your USB based RS-232 ports appear as installed RS-232 ports at the normal addresses.

The only serious short coming of "freedos" (the dos you install with doemu) is that recursive batch files have a limit of three levels.

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:37:52 -0700 (PDT)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

I just compiled and installed that dosbox on Linux, it seems to emulate a complete DOS PC, and it even sort of runs vrs.exe (3D flight simulator, well, its an old game that runs on almost nothing). Ticking sound in the sound, no idea why.... could be the settings. This is way better then dosemu, and I did not even have to 'install', just ran ./configure make cd src ./dosbox from an xterm. Then mounted a disk with some dos programs from within dosbox. mount c /root/my_dos_programs vrs.exe HOWEVER it tries strange things with my harddisk: dmesg: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hdc: packet command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 } ide: failed opcode was: unknown ATAPI device hdc: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05) Cannot read medium - incompatible format -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x02) The failed "Read Subchannel" packet command was: "42 02 40 01 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 " Now hdc is the CDROM in my case, so it cannot do any harm I suppose, but check with dmesg if it does not corrupt anything on your system.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

But does it play DOOM 2?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

.

have you right clicked on the .exe and set the emulation properties?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

On a sunny day (Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:13:47 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

Have not played doom for soo long, and that was a doom version for Linux!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Jun 28, 7:15=A0pm, RFI-EMI-GUY wrote: > What is the trick to getting my old DOS programs to run under WIN XP? > Some work some don't. For example with WIN98 I could run all DOS > programs very well including some radio programming software that > although the serial interface was too fast to read/write a radio, I > could edit codeplugs with the "UBer" computer and use my slow 486 to > program the radios. >

Athlon XP (4years old) is just fine with MS-DOS 6.22 in multiple boot. I have a machine at work that boots DOS, Win XP pro, or Win 98se. On the faster machines there were some quirks in DOS with Borland's CRT unit that caused "divide by 0" errors (IIRC) but a patch fixed that up.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

I really liked that game, esp the music.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:57:26 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote: [snip]

[snip]

This probably is unrelated [1] and/or dosbox might not have an option setting for it, but see section 11.2.2 on page 113 in

that mentions a bug in the hard disk driver of Windows 2000 -- "a race condition in the Windows driver code which leads to corruption if the operation completes too fast" [as may occur in a virtual environment]. For virtualbox, there's an option to increase IRQDelay during installation.

-jiw [1] Ie, your error messages appear in the linux log, vs errors from the Windows bug show up in the virtual machine.

Reply to
James Waldby

Indeed it does! But why would you want to waste it on that, when there are (besides the original Linux port that id wrote) a rich variety of compatible executables? I'm partial to PrBoom (by TeamTNT), and for shiny graphics, jDoom does it in OpenGL. So there, get doomin'! ;-)

On a similar subject, it also runs Descent nicely...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I tried that but didn't see DOS emulation as a selection.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

I will look into that. I did download DOS BOX and it seems to work somewhat. I will have to build batch files to execute this stuff. The command line is tedious.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Try running your programs under DOSBox. It's a more complete emulation of an old DOS machine, and supports serial ports.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Descent 3?

Reply to
Mycelium

will have to build batch files to execute this

Seems to run old dos tango pcb well under XP. I used to run virtual machine with Win98 inside XP to open and export old pcb files from Tango. Now I have a better solution, a big "thanks" is in order.

TheM

Ahh, now I remember. My very first and only LAN game party. Everyone brought their PC, we setup a LAN and did Descent. I remember it was a flight sim of sorts, flying was in the tunnels under ground. But this was like 20 years ago before internet.

TheM