Will SMD resistors marking become history?

Hello:

quote: "Company YAGEO announced its intention to remove marking of RC/AC

0603,0805,1206 SMD chip resistors from July, 1-st, 2013" link:

Just wondering about your opinion....

Best Regards

Steve Sousa

Reply to
Steve Sousa

On a sunny day (Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:38:30 +0100) it happened "Steve Sousa" wrote in :

Not sure if it makes much difference, I sometiems double check with omh meter for small things I build anyway. For large production quantities it may save a fraction of a cent per item perhaps thousands of dollars if millions are made. Repair shops SHOULD have the right drawings. Re-use? I think not.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Environmental reasons? Is white ink toxic? We use KOA or Vishay anyway. doesnt really affect us.

Martin Riddle

"Steve Sousa"

** Speaking as a service tech - it sucks big time.

Any maker who ever wanted to prevent copying or repairs by anyone but a chosen few knows that all you have to do is remove the part numbers from all the semiconductors after manufacture.

Thankfully till now only a tiny, paranoid few have ever done so.

SMD products are hard enough to service even with fully marked components, this move will make it impossible except with the full co-operation of the makers and their overseas agents.

If pigs could fly ...

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Under the new "Progressive" Laws, ALL Resistors are Equal >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Crud! To date I've been trying to buy Yageo specifically small production run items specifically because they are marked.

@#$%!

You can get close to the resistance of a lot of parts by measuring them in-circuit, but it's often only close and sometimes not close at all.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Folks are doing fine with the smaller form factors, which have never been marked, so the thought is why do we need any continued marking on the larger form factors?

The intelligent among us will survive just fine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Might as well strip markings off all the other parts too, for the same reasons. Who needs to know what parts are which? They're all exactly the same, right?

What's all this part-marking stuff anyhow?

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

With all this in mind,

is there a web page with SMD markings to real part numbers ??

I have some parts that I misplaced the data sheet...... ;-)

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Apr 2013 05:27:07 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Maybe with all that ever larger integration we could have speaking capacitors, SMD caps that vibrate a la Joerg and say: Hi I am an 805 10 nano Farad, I need replacing, my dielectric is failing, BEEP BEEP BEEP. Radio tags? Ah! Wireless of course: Hi am am the 805 on your left ...

I think the gist is to keep them sorted in your workshop, that is what I do, and no problems, sometimes I measure one...

Parts could communicate among themselves too: Hi, I am the 805 in series with you, can you adjust down a bit my resistance is going up? mmm programmabe SMD resistors and capacitors... Anyways who needs all that stuff, soon everything will be integrated, only need a clock. And it would fall out anyways due to no-lead soldering and short because of whiskers...

mm

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Maybe they will start using color code.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

There's one at

This may be the mother-page for several others that seem to have scraped the info, but it's sometimes hard to tell where the root is.

Reply to
Rich Webb

In many ways, resistors and capacitor markings are even more important. If you mix up the feeders of other parts the guy watching the reflow oven has a chance of find a big problem early in the process. ;-) Not so much with resistors and caps.

I never look at them (resistors and caps) but I'd think QC could use the information.

Reply to
krw

I had a $350 device fail, which I sent back for repair. They claim it's "not repairable". Head office is in Taipei, service depot in the US. I bet it's nothing that would take a decent service tech more than

15 minutes to fix- it works for a while then cuts out (probably a power supply fault of some kind causing regulator shutdown). I had it returned so I could look at it further.

Maybe I should trace out the circuit and post interesting bits of it, since they don't seem willing to repair their stuff or supply schematics. It's an RTD->Ethernet module.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:09:39 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Sounds thermal to me, bit of cold spray bring it back? Use a mask to find the component, hope it is no chip, and if it is some recognizable type number...

Time counts too, no use spending many hours on something worth nothing.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Boris Mohar" "Steve Sousa"

** Hmmmm -

has anyone thought that a " body- end-dot" system might be good for SMD ??

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison