will a dc offset affect a speaker?

So what you are saying is that DC causes sidebands? :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The bigger problem is the switching transient when the source is turned on or selected.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

... or that troublesome transient complaint that HH amplifiers used to get from time to time, where they would latch up and apply lots of DC to the speaker(s). I never really knew the source of the problem but I did wonder about the design of the current sources in the bias chains which showed a remarkable similarity to a unijunction!

Chris

Reply to
christofire

its

so the

blocks

send it

since a

?partNumber=CD4051

No surprise there.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

e:

Mike Terrill making his usual sophisticated contribution to the discussion.

I don't know where we'd be without his wisdom and insight.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

e:

s not a

of its

pled so the

e amp blocks

ups.com...

signal

nd send it

as

s by

nd since a

hich

e to

his.

al in

This seems unlikely.

"Conventional" is much less specific than "digital" - you were simply careless in your choice of words.

"Conventional" is an odd word to use in this context - one doesn't choose to use a particular sort of multiplexer because there are socially accepted conventions on what you need in a particular circuit, you use something that will work in that circuit.

It may seem obvious to you now, but you didn't bother making this less- than-helpful distinction when you originally corrected Panfilero. The analog/digital distinction captures more of the idea you were trying - rather ineptly - to get across. Of course, there are internally buffered analog multiplexers, which aren't bidirectional either, and "multiplexer/demultipler" does exclude these parts but you need to prime an unsophisticated audience fairly carefully (as I've done here) to make the title meaningful.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Enough DC bias on the right loudspeaker could persuade the loudspeaker to generate acoustic side-bands of the AC content of the electrical input to the speaker. Guy Macon discusses the mechanism in more detail.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Reply to
RightSaidFred

not a

its

so the

amp blocks

signal

send it

since a

--
Whether it seems unlikely to you is irrelevant.
The point is, this is seb and the distinction should have been, and was,

--
No, he doesn\'t.

What he discusses is the situation where, because of a steady DC bias, a
voice coil is jammed up against the stop and only lifted off if the
amplitude of the AC component into the coil is enough to overcome the
bias.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

At the risk of being flamed again, I do believe that when that voice coil is being lifted off the stop by the positive peaks of the electrical signal that is sent to the speaker, the acoustic signal that comes out of the speaker will have side-bands that are not present in in the electrical signal that is sent to the speaker. In essence, the DC turns the speaker into a nonlinear device, and that nonlinearity creates severe distortion.

I would not, however, call that "DC causing sidebands." If I replace a little 2W speaker that is on the stops at a particular DC level with a big 1KW PA speaker, the distortion will pretty much go away. If I use a speaker with the excursion soft-limited at the perimeter of the speaker instead of at the coil, the nature of the distortion will be radically different. I would say "DC causes speaker nonlinearity, speaker nonlinearity causes acoustic sidebands" or perhaps "DC indirectly causing sidebands."

IANARFEE...

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

rote:

:

oups.com...

r is not a

out of its

coupled so the

the amp blocks

groups.com...

As opposed to your subtle diplomacy?

You haven't even got the wit to be rude without being scatological. It's as pathetic as your attempts to pose as a pedant.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

--
I have found that subtlety is often lost on you, so a more direct
approach, where possible ambiguity of meaning is removed, is usually

A John Field's subtlely would be an oxymoron, comparable with "military intelligence".

I'm afraid that you have been exercising what little imagination you've got in a futile effort to look slightly less less like a Texan oaf.

Do try to stick to plausible lies - making implausible claims just makes you look even more ridiculous.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

--