Amphenol Millivolt Commander

I have an Amphenol Millivolt Commander Model 870, about 30 years old. It is a sensitive, FET unit that uses batteries. Most of the batteries are general AA 1.5 volt batteries (8), but 2 of the batteries are Duracell Mercury 1.4 volt batteries (Duracell ZM9). I suppose that these batteries are a reference voltage. Mercury batteries are no longer in use, so I used two 1.5 volt batteries in their place.

When I turn the on and select battery test, the meter does not move. It is supposed to move to above the Battery OK mark. Also, when I select the positive DC, the meter pegs negative, and when I select the negative DC, the meter pegs positive. The batteries are all new batteries, so there is not a problem with dead batteries.

Anyone ever worked with one of these meters and can give me some insight into the problem with it?

Reply to
indago

Polarity of mercury cells is reversed as I recall,turn the one pair around if the holder will accept it.

Reply to
Luddite
060307 0343 - Luddite posted:

All of the batteries are in their holders in the proper polarity, as shown on the chart. I did change the two batteries as you had suggested, and nothing changed with the operation of the meter.

Reply to
indago

Does the chart show +/- or an outline drawing of the cells?

Reply to
Luddite
060307 1444 - Luddite posted:

Both

Reply to
indago

I thought that would do it,then theres always the manual type amphenol millivolt commander into google and click on the first result from bama.edebris.com its 7mb or so

Reply to
Luddite
060307 1848 - Luddite posted:

I already have the owners manual that came with the tester. Is that 7mb download a service manual?

Reply to
indago