Why do EVs not use the full 3.12kW from a mains socket?

I'd guess that the outlet strip has MOVs line-to-ground that convert differential-mode currents into common-mode, and that trips the ground fault detector.

It trips when there is no current path to ground and no hazard. I define that as a false trip. I'd guess that the speed controller in the blender makes high frequency crud that fools the GFD.

If there is a break in the ring, the economical skinny wire will fry.

I thought redundancy/safety was a selling point of the ring. That requires fat wire.

We don't run a cable to each socket! One breaker feeds a bunch of loads. I don 't have a hundred circuit breakers.

in theory. Folk that have tested them are not impressed.

Reply to
Tabby

it doesn't, it's fine. It simply has less margin.

it is

too vague

still uses more cable & more breakers. Lots of houses here have 2 socket circuits, and it's no problem. New installs now get more than that.

Reply to
Tabby

- in most cases not required

Reply to
Tabby

I don't think I've ever seen a ring that drops 11%! If a circuit covered such a large area one would fit more than 1.

Re rings generally, I do notice that foreginers of all sorts seem to have a lot of confustion over rings, so do many brits. Despite their advantages the UK is afaik the only place that uses them.

Reply to
Tabby

To get a sizeable Vdrop increase you'd need 3 things.

  1. A wiring fault.
  2. An overly large circuit
  3. Very heavy loading just on one end of the ring.

Ultimately if you did all this, it would be way safer than a radial with the same fault

didn't know that

Reply to
Tabby