Why 75 Ohms not 50 Ohms?

Black. What does that have to do with RF _or_ video? Seems more like DC, to me. (and let's not start that "DC isn't really DC" thing again, m'kay?)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

John, I'm ashamed of you. Violet-green-brown is 750, not 75! It's violet-green-black, which is still better than green-black-black.

Clearly, the first IBM monochrome displays were 50 ohms.

Cheers! Rich ;-P

Reply to
Rich Grise

the

Good Grief, it's a _ratio_. _ANY_ two things that use the same units can be compared in dB, can't they? Of course, then we open that other can of worms: If I'm going 30 MPH, and you pass me at 60, is your speed 6 dB over mine, or 3? >;->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Don, you either have to kill file Phil, or excuse him. He lives in Australia with no friends, and no social skills. If the subject isn't toaster repair or something dealing with Audiophoolery, he's in way over his head. take a look at news:aus.electronics and you will see just how pathetic his life really is.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only in your small, closed mind, Phil

It doesn't matter what you say till you remove both feet from your mouth. It would take a fool to think it was done in anything but baseband at the time it was developed. If it was a modulated RF carrier it would have been CATV, which came decades later.

I really do feel sorry for you. So many gaps in your education along with your inability to do the most basic online search for data before you fire up the keyboard for another round of your unique brand of online stupidity. If you ever put up a website you will have to use the URL

to comply with the truth in advertising laws.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(snip useless drivel)

You're pathetic.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields wrote (in ) about 'Why 75 Ohms not 50 Ohms?', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

Extract the root!

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'Why 75 Ohms not 50 Ohms?', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

So am I. It's these 5-band things; they've got me all conphewesed.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'Why 75 Ohms not 50 Ohms?', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

There isn't any doubt that the dB is grounded in power, even if it's convenient to use it otherwise, with the 'fiddle factor' 2, for quantities that have to be squared to get power (e.g. (V^2)/R). Speed is one of those things that gets squared to find energy, and energy is power x time. So 60 MPH is 6 dB more than 30 MPH.

John Woodgate

"Don Bowey" "Phil Allison"

** Where is your URL that details it ??????

Seems there is none.

** Meaning what ??

L = base band, video frequency ???

Obscurus bloody maximus to any but a few Yank insiders.

Typical co-axial inter city TV links used RF carriers in the 1960s.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Don Bowey" "Phil Allison"

** How utterly non informative.

While some try to communicate - others only pontificate.

** So simply asking here for checkable details is verboten ???
** The one off his meds is you - Mr Nasty.

** You have grabbed the " Bull by the Horns" for no sane reason.

The existence of long, base band video links in the USA in the 30s, 40s, 50s and even 60s is not only an obscure technical curiosity - it simply has no relevance to comments made in any posts of mine.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Still at odds with your old boyfreind, Phillis?

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
Clever. "...by the square..."  Thanks. :-)
Reply to

"Michael A. Terrell"

** Michael - you are pathetic ass.

Piss off .

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Just asking - because it was a crucial omission.
** No feet in my mouth - you have very poor reading comprehension.

** The only date *you* mentioned was that of the death of JFK.

Makes it early 60s - right ?

** Decades later than a date you completely failed to mention.
** I feel no sorrow for you - you pathetic, posturing ass .

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Now THAT is interesting info.

Mr Terrell is unable to prove the details of the story he got from some retired ATT dude - hence all the bullshit and blustering.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ohms or dB?