75 to 50 ohm instrument conversion

I just bought an HP3586B Selective Voltmeter. It has a 75 ohm input, I'll be modifying it for 50 ohms. An L pad has a power loss of 5.72db, what is the change if I just plug a 50 ohm source into the 75 ohm input? Is it and addition of power loss?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

For a minimum loss pad, this article should have the losses mentioned: Gotta run...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Does the HP have a hi-Z switch option? If so, you could use a 50 ohm feedthru termination.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Thanks Jeff, I had looked at that page, I was disappointed to see the minimum power loss was 5.72db. So then I wondered about just connecting the 50 ohm source to the 75 ohm input, What is my loss there? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Interesting it has an input that is 75 ohm or switched to 10k/50pf. Also jacks for 124 ohms, 135 ohms, and 600 ohms. So maybe I could use a 50 ohm termination, but only up to a few MHz before the 50pf starts having a noticeable affect. Still looking for a better solution. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

According to the service manual, (0358690002V2) you add .18 dB to the displayed level

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Can't you simply open up that termination 'box' and change the termination to 50 Ohms?

Or add 150 Ohms in parallel in a BNC adapter? ...Jim Thompson

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame
the most productive members of our society for their failures?

Why not install a nice parallel resistor R = 1/(1/50-1/75) = 150 ohms inside the box?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I haven't got it yet to open up, but from what I read, there is plenty of room, so maybe that is the solution. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I'll have to read some more, I thought I saw somewhere to add 0.2db for a 50 ohm source, but I had not yet had the question. When I went looking for that answer, I could not find it, Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Get the manuals from the OEM's website:

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

dB's are for sissies. See NOdBm.zip on the Simulation Tools & Macros Page of my website >:-}

Provoked by customer specs, "Input must withstand +20dBm". ...Jim Thompson

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame
the most productive members of our society for their failures?

That wouldn't help it to display the right level, since it's already .18dB low. :(

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Have it your way--minus 150. ;)

It'd work fine in volts.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My way would be to remove the option that converted it to 75 Ohms, and re-calibrating it. I had looked into it a while back, but I decided to keep my HP312B instead.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

25 ohms (both ends) and 50 pF is down 3 dB at 127 MHz.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, I'll probably take the sissy route for my relative measurements. My plan is to measure the outputs of several ferrite loop antennas. So all I need to know is more power is better. I do see, Input Volts = (0.075)10^(A/10) where A is the displayed power amplitude. My Avast did not like your NOdbm program! But it ran OK.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

My son, Aaron, wrote that for me when he was a student at UofA... he's now 47 years old ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame
the most productive members of our society for their failures?

Same as putting a 75 ohm load on a 50 ohm transmitter. That produces a return loss of 14dB, which is 0.177dB mismatch loss: Source = 50 ohms Load = 75+j0 ohms

Overkill at its best: "HP3586B selective level meter shown as HF receiver" I use my service monitors (IFR-1500, Wavetek 3000b) in much the same way. Congrats.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I received a note from Avast, they said the Nodbm file is clean and it's in now their database as such :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx