Who sells LED display polarising sheet?

Actually 50 quid for 220x130mm is ok; I can get 20 pieces out of that.

Thank you!

Whether it is good enough to be sunlight readable, who knows?

Reply to
Peter

I got this suggestion from the manufacturer, which is a really high spec material, but they supply it only in a finished size (for reasons unknown)

Peter wrote:

Reply to
Peter

Is that for sure? The polarizer will kill some LED brightness too. Maybe add a light sensor and adapt the LED current to ambient light. One could use the (7-segment?) LED itself as the sensor, in various ways. An unused decimal point would be fun.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Once I was making equipment for air traffic control towers.

It is bloody difficult to see any display when the February or March sun shines from pretty low angle and eveything outside is covered with brilliant new white snow.

--

-TV
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote

I already have a light sensor - an old style LDR. I played with a photodiode too; the only advantage was that you could measure the ambient light while the multiplexed display is off.

I did hear of using LEDs as photodiodes but it's hard to do when driven from a dedicated driver (STLED316).

Reply to
Peter

I ordered a piece of this

which is about the only thing one can actually buy and for which there is a decent spec available. That Farnell item mentioned earlier is discontinued, too...

I will report on success :)

Reply to
Peter