which method is easier for creating a tach

Hello, I am looking for a good method to implement a tachometer on a 3800 rpm motor. My I can either go with a hall effect sensor or use one of the inductive/capacitive sensors that are wrapped around the sparkplug wire. What would the benefits or drawbacks be for each of these plans. The installation will not be a problem for the hall effect sensor which seems to be the biggest reason to go with the other method. Thanks in advance.

rkremser

Why not use the points?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The easiest way - no real advantages to either - hall effect may be more fragile.

But how many cylinders? What's the application? Is the speed constant or is it expected to vary? (how fast does the response to changes in speed have to be?) Type of display . . . Those are the things you should be considering -

default