Which Charging Method is Best?

There are at 3 popular methods to recharge secondary batteries, and variations of these:

Constant current, or galvanostatic

Pulse charging

Burp or Reflex charging

I have always taken it for granted that its known which is better, but its seems the optimal charging scheme isn't settled. If you built your own, how did you determine the frequency and pulse widths in positive, if you use pulse, and discharge, if you use reflex. Among pulse chargers I've sampled the pulse widths, and frequency all vary.

I am looking for experiences with charging methods readers find optimal and which charger you use. Most commercial chargers are either constant current or pulse.

The few that support reflex charging are often costly, in the $300-400 range.

More on charging methods:

Saturation

"Saturation is all Wet "

** If one method was clearly superior for all cell types and circumstances - there would be no other.

You stupid trolling, f*****ad.

FOAD.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wow, an honest question, and a warm welcome. Thanks for nothing.

-

saturation

--- Please bottom post.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

That's normal for Philthy, but if you keep top posting you'll get flamed by a few more people.

Reply to
ian field

Pulse charging and similar variable current charging schemes are primarily to de-sulphate LEAD ACID batteries (secondary use is proposed to reduce or prevent sulphation). It really does not matter much what one does or how it is done (vary current in a lead acid battery), the net desired result is to break up sulphation and return the insoluble products back to usable lead components. If sulphation is excessive, up to 100V per cell may be needed to push

10mA in either direction and it could be weeks of application of AC-cycling-plus-charging-DC to get the current up to hundreds of milliamps of current.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Check,,that funnybusiness is for LEAD ACID batteries ONLY.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...gotta cook those hot dogs somehow..

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the past I've livened up sulphated battery by connecting it to a bridge rectifier inserted in the neutral lead of low power load (such as a 100W

240V lightbulb) but since buying an Optimate battery conditioner, I've come to the conclusion that if the conditioning charger can't get it started the end result won't be worth the time and effort involved.
Reply to
ian field

milliamps

come

the

Thanks folks, for you input.

saturation

Maybe so, but i used an AC-with-DC method similar to what i alluded to in re-juvenating a 1943 "drycharged" motorcycle battery that took the

100V mentioned. Took a month or so from start to end, but the result was over 200 AMP short circuit capability! Actual personal set-up time and time to change setup each time as current increased was about an hour total, so actual effort was not much.
Reply to
Robert Baer

In the vast majority of cases that I've had to use such extremes to revive a lead acid battery, the recovered capacity has been well down on what's marked on the case - although some have recovered further with heavy charge/discharge cycling, others have let me down and left me stranded - costing me time effort and money!

Reply to
ian field