Digital automotive tach circuit?

Anyone have a simple digital tachometer schematic handy?

I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine. Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.

If it isn't much more difficult, I'd like to be able to drive a bar graph of

12 to 16 LEDs as well.
Reply to
Noozer

============================================ try epanorama. This would also be a good project to learn c programming on a microcontroller. Use a text lcd as the bar graph. Or a graphics lcd. Look at the Olimex MT128 at olimex.com

Reply to
BobG

How about doing it the old-fashioned analog way ? An LM2907/2917 as F-V converter, and a 4 1/2-digit DVM module for readout. Another venerable IC, the LM3914 could provide the bar graph display, two of them for a 20-dot scale.

Reply to
pjdd

A Digital Tachometer For Your Car

Compact design features a 4-digit LED display and a bargraph. It can also provide gearchange indication and drive a rev limiter.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Build a frequency counter, and pick the right gate time. I think if you make the gate time 1/300 of a minute, the display will show RPM/100. Make it

1/30th of a minute (2seconds), and it will display RPM/10. There is a common coil?

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

That's too obvious.

I'd stuff a down counter with a preloaded number corresponding to some very high RPM then use the tach signal to gate a series of pulses from a crystal oscillator into the counter.

Sort of measuring period, but displaying RPM . . .

Requires some latching/gating to display the count while the next count is being acquired.

Main advantages: capable of very high resolution and fast response, with low pulses per revolution. The concept works; I had it bread boarded and up. An analog display was more intuitive and I could acquire the RPM in a millisecond glance, so used analog instead. Digital displays make more sense in slow flying aircraft IMHO.

default