Which is better Zoom or Skype

Most of the conferencing systems have some sort of echo-cancelling. They vary in how good they are. Few cope with long latencies, and none cope well with varying latency.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yup, absolutely everything - with the sole exception of heatsinks.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:r8js1g$uec$1@dont- email.me:

Critter-eon...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We use team viewer at work

It is stable and performs well Has documentation features also

Zoom is great also, but not secure

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Q & A from 2013:

Q. Can TeamViewer spy on you?

A. We use Teamviewer and also Webex. We install it as on our client's computers. If you start it and give mouse/keyboard control and walk away, then yes, they can spy on your computer files. If you are present, you can see everything they do.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I use Zoom in a disposable VM running under Qubes, which is a Xen distribution running various flavours of Fedora, Debian, and Whonix.

The only files it can touch are the ones in the VM template, unless I copy something to the VM in order to put it on screen share (which I rarely do).

Qubes also allows very fine-grained control of cameras, mics, USB devices, and so forth.

Good Medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ummm, better for what??? Depending on your particular situation, they both have abysmal security. Both are not allowed on military and certain other gov agencies. Sharing documents - Zoom is easier to use and has some nicer features. The interface to skype if extremely non-intuitive. Audio communication - both are OK, but I'd rather use a cell phone - both suffer from audio compaction/expansion - my experience is that skype is worse. Video telecon - Zoom more user friendly, and does not seem to suffer the audio problem as much as skype. CPU utilization - skype seems to be a resource hog more than zoom Handling multiple participants in a video teleconference - I believe zoom is better than skype - IME, both have degraded noticably with additional users, but skype seem to drop off faster. I've also noticed a difference in the 'free' version of zoom vs the paid version. The paid version seems generally more stable at handling more ppl. I can't give any use statistics, because I havent conducted any real testing other than personal and business us experience. J

Reply to
jjhudak4

A colleague that got let go (layoff) due to the coronavirus thing happens t o live in an area where his cell phone service is awful.

I was going to give him a desktop Skype adapter that I've not used in many years, but when I just now tried to use it, I find that it won't connect to Skype (and apparently Skype "no longer supports the API for incoming calls .") Doesn't say anything about outbound calls. The model I have is the XB lue Networks SP2014. In fact I have two of them.

But my question: Are there any Skype desktop phones out there similar to the SP2014? Can the SP2014 still be used to make outbound calls? (Or is it now bricked courtesy of Skype and Microsoft?)

When I tried to use the SP2014 tonight, I'm not sure if I'm entering my Sky pe account correctly, and/or have all the network settings right (even thou gh it's DHCP). Thus, I can't answer the question about outbound calls myse lf.

My friend can always use Skype via PC, headphones and mic. But I thought I would give him these SP2014's if they will actually connect and work.

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Reply to
mpm

Which SP2014? Is it the X Blue Skype phone: I tried a variety of dealers and every one shows "out of stock". Or perhaps it's the Freetalk SP2014? or maybe this one?

My guess(tm) is that MicroSloth pulled the plug on most Skype phones: "Microsoft pulls the plug on Skype-certified phones" (2017)

To insure maximum confusion, Skype seems to also support an assortment of "IP Phones" (whatever that means):

Anyway, it's a mess. I suspect that if it's not blessed by Microsoft, it won't work with Skype.

Incidentally, if you must use Skype, there are various unauthorized SIP to Skype gateways available, some of which might still be functional:

Try calling "Skype Test Call" also known as "echo123".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com