Which is better Zoom or Skype

Somebody here knows the differences.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Which is better for doing what? I've been using both and each has it's strong points and it's problems. I'm not going to do a bullet point feature comparison for you when running Zoom or Skype and seeing for yourself will probably take less time.

Since you're suppose to be a Linux supporter, you might want to look at Jitsi (Open source, free, and runs on Windoze, Linux, MacOS, IOS and Android.): We're starting to use it for our local Linux user group. Very little experience so far and no clue about potential performance issues.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Having used both, I think I prefer zoom now.

It's free to a point but as far as I've seen it works pretty darn well !

There are other options out there too of course.

Jabber for one. Open source. Can't screen share though as far as I know.

Reply to
boB

It depends which spies you want listening.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, Jeff.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

For a 1:1( or even 3:1) with friends, Skype. For business with pre planned meetings, Zoom. I tried Zoom to talk to a friend. what a pain it was.

TTman

It's not that difficult to do 1 to 1 or and "instant meeting" with Zoom.

  1. Register with Zoom to get an account and password or login with Google, SSO, or Farcebook.
  2. Login to your Zoom account with a web browser at:
  3. Select "Profile" from the menu.
  4. The first item is "Personal Meeting ID".
  5. Select "Show" (twice) to get the Personal Meeting ID number and the URL to give others to connect to you directly or to setup "instant meetings". Save both for future abuse.
  6. If you plan to host a meeting, also grab the "Host Key" further down the page.
  7. Do not leak the URL or "host key" (password) to the GUM (great unwashed masses) or you're likely to be "Zoom Bombed".
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cisco Webex I use it every day for work. They have free personal use accounts.

Chisolm
Texas-American
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

I was on a jitsi conference last Saturday using Jabber. It works great ! It doesn't support screen sharing as of yet I don't think but that's OK

Reply to
boB

just-under-a-week

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

I prefer GoToMeeting for the sole reason that is it already setup on my wor k computer, and the very few groups that I need to attend remotely use that platform.

Otherwise, for the types of meetings I'm usually involved in, all those fan cy bells and whistles are pretty much useless. (And I'm sure GTM has them too.)

What truly annoys me is when Presenters are still fumbling with the technol ogy when the actual meeting starts. I have walked out of some of those. I f you're going to host a meeting, learn how to use the platform first, rega rdless of which one you pick! 20 people on the line waiting for a Presente r to get a clue is not an efficient use of manpower.

Reply to
mpm

I'll never use Skype again on principle, since they attempted to covertly bar access to Linux users. Fuck 'em. Anyway, from what I gather, Zoom is the hottest thing out there currently and what I would go with if I were looking for a new video-calling service.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, yes, but I'm gonna make chili tonight and have it with crackers. Hungry? It will feed two. Come on by.

Reply to
John S

So, you would use Zoom simply because it is "the hottest thing out there." Is that the only criterion you use when selecting products?

Reply to
RosemontCrest

ly

We used Zoom with a meetup group to play online trivia. The video of the t rivia guy was sent to all of us and we had a little window to share our ima ges. It worked rather poorly, but it's hard to say why. The video was so poor resolution that I couldn't read the text in the video which was not sm all. When I pulled up the video in another windows I found there was a big time lag, four seconds or more for that video to appear on the Zoom screen . Conversation was ridiculously difficult with voices from everyone in the group and the video all active at once and with echos. Everyone talking a t once is not Zoom's fault, but what's up with the bad telephone hybrid lik e echos?

It was so bad I don't think I'm going to participate anymore.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

Thank you. Having not used it, I wonder why Zoom is so popular now, and how it could possibly be any better than what was available before. You provide a more reasoned response than it's "the hottest thing out there."

Reply to
RosemontCrest
--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1  E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dan Purgert

my

rtly

is

ere

he trivia guy was sent to all of us and we had a little window to share our images. It worked rather poorly, but it's hard to say why. The video was so poor resolution that I couldn't read the text in the video which was no t small. When I pulled up the video in another windows I found there was a big time lag, four seconds or more for that video to appear on the Zoom sc reen. Conversation was ridiculously difficult with voices from everyone in the group and the video all active at once and with echos. Everyone talki ng at once is not Zoom's fault, but what's up with the bad telephone hybrid like echos?

Please don't think my experience is typical. I want to make it clear that I was only a user and didn't set it up so I have no idea what was wrong or what was even happening. It's a crowd that does things like this now that we are all shut-ins and they have their own way of doing things.

Sunday we have a meeting to discuss the future direction of the group and I am dreading it a bit. But at least that isn't a bunch of people playing t rivia so they shouldn't be talking over one another.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

Why would that cause an echo unless there was considerable latency in the c onnection? Maybe that was on my end. My connection is not so good these d ays with everyone at home. The provider is small and there's not much he c an do about it being overloaded, it seems. In fact, there are times when e ven before the shut in that the service would just go down and he'd have a hard time getting it back up.

What's with the PGP signature thing? Does anyone use that?

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

First name basis, huh? :) Reminds me of the Three Rivers Telephone Cooperative. (Montana).

Not exactly a happy memory.

Reply to
mpm