which processor is best?

My friend told me that AMD processors are better than intel processors and I want to get a new system for myself.I dont know which to go for

Reply to
Ronnie

The Macintosh isn't available with AMD CPU's, so it's a moot point.

R> My friend told me that AMD processors are better than intel processors

Reply to
Mike Berger

Why would anyone want an AMD processor in a doorstop?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It goes back and forth regularly as they leapfrog each other. At the current moment I think Intel is slightly ahead, that could change in an instant though. Best to do your homework and read up to date online comparisons. Depends too on what you intend to use it for, if you're just surfing the net and writing emails it doesn't much matter what you get.

Reply to
James Sweet

Wait a while.

Reply to
Stumpy

Have you checked the CPU benchmarks at places like these?

AMD CPUs were generally faster, until Intel came out with their Core2 CPUs. But do you really need a really fast CPU? Because if you're not doing lots of image processing, game playing, or scientific or engineering work, you may do just fine with something slower, and for games the speed of the graphics card may matter more.

Fry's is often the cheapest for CPU/mobo combinations, and they currently have a Core2 Duo E4300 (1.8 GHz, smaller cache) with mobo for $130, or the slightly faster E6300 for $180. Heatsink is extra for each.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

On 13 Apr 2007 07:49:00 -0700, "Ronnie" put finger to keyboard and composed:

AMD CPU prices have recently fallen dramatically (20-48%), at least in Germany:

I believe the above table shows OEM quantity pricing so I don't know how that translates to retail.

Anyway this was AMD's price list on April 9:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar