Where to get 'capacitor kit' for Element TV, ELGFT-401 ?

tried to post to the sci.electronics.repair group through AIOE and got

441 Banlist error message ?? yet, I can read messages there, coming through eternal-september, just can't reply, or post evidently. = = =

Any ideas where to get a capacitor kit for this TV?

Or, a list of problem caps and placement?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Need some help here.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Write to the support/admin at AIOE and ask why you're "banned" from posting. It could be that the entire group is "R/O". Or, perhaps you've done something to merit being singled out?

Reply to
Don Y

The power supply inside the TV is Model MLT668TL H060185103200274

so, how about a capacitor kit for that?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thank you for the reply. Great idea to only replace 'bad' ones. This unit is not that difficult to take apart. Does somebody sell an effective esr meter for 'in situ' measurements? Or, free software for use with a soundcard?

Have you had surge currents be a problem after replacing with LARGE cap(s)? Potential power sequencing problems? have no idea how to determine that one. Makes me envision the "[insert ethnic group of your choice] mine detector", where he has his ears covered and is stomping around on the ground with one foot. Just no way to find out if power sequencing is a problem until too late.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Don't worry about power up. The engineers worried about that. They didn't u se 100,000 uF, don't use 100,000 uF.

As far as a tester based on a PC soundcard, I have never heard of one. I wi ll think about it. I used a scope for a long time with a 1Khz square wave a nd it worked like the dickens.

Actually, I could probably draw the responses from good and bad caps of a b unch of different values and explain what has to be looked for. Aftert hat you can do a mental FFT and ficuge it out. I guess is 20Khz bandwidth is no t going to cut it, but I could be wrong. What's more there could bea a work around.

Reply to
jurb6006

Interesting you mentioned Soundcard.

Use one channel OUT from the soundcard and two channels IN. The single output channel, Vout, is monitored by channel 1 and channel 2 monitors the other end of the resistor connected to the capacitor under test.

I just simulated the soundcard technique using LTspice and by simply using some simple V1-V2 and V2 it is possible to use real() to get the esr and imag()to get the capacitance value independent of the frequency [as long as you use 2 pi f for the capacitor calculation]

I just started writing the C/C++ code [actually a modificaiton of something I've already been doing] that can slightly self-calibrate and then start running, as it runs the display screen will show the two values, whether you attach a cap, or not.

Later I'll add a check for noise and/or ranges of signal levels to estimate the accuracy, like in some ranges should be better than 0.1% for the cap and 1% for the esr, but as the cap gets too small or too large, those numbers change and it would be nice to have some level of confidence show on the screen too, like...

C = 47.0 uF within 1% Resr = 33.0 milliohm within 5%

something like that, I haven't calculated how accurate the numbers will come out, I just guessed at the above accuracies.

The actual accuracy will be based upon how good a resistor that's used. like a 0.01% 10ppm or such, or don't care and use some way to calibrate, but that takes some very good loads.

With some more work, it would be easy to make this a true RLC meter, for right now only need a cap/esr meter

Reply to
RobertMacy