where to buy the ends of silicon ingots?

Howdy - every once in a while I'll see somebody with the end of a silicon ingot (the cone shaped end:

Does anybody know where I can find these? Do they have a name? Thanks!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

end:

Judging by the amount of work it takes to make pure silicon, I'd guess they get tossed right back in the next boule.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

end:

Yep, It's used as the "seed" for subsequent "pulls".

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

That can't always be true - I mean - I've definitely seen people with them on their desks using them as paperweights...

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

end:

Call American Elements. I needed a half-sphere of ultrapure Si a while back and they were able to find someone to custom-make one. Plus, they sell Si ingots.

IMO, a silicon bar of the type used by investors makes a more impressive paperweight:

Guy Macon
Reply to
Guy Macon