where best place to buy caps and some test leads?

Large Vizio TV went through the 'dried out' electrolytics, where didn't dare to turn off TV for a while, then just didn't work at all soset aside. Recently went through and sure enough looks like a 'lot run' of all ismilar caps failed, 10uF, 50vDC radial lead 105C had 1.5 to 2 ohms Resr! and the

so what is the P1018, P1016, P1020 and such mean? is that for a package C-V size, or something?

ELECTROLYTIC CAPS anyway need these two 10uF 50V 105C P1018 one 10uF 50V 105C P1016

the size does not matter, lead spacing is either 100 or 150 mils and the caps are just stuck in there, not very flush at all with room to use larger size caps.

also there were some caps in the switchig section that seemed to be a little high on Resr, so might as well replace same time:

2ea 220uF, 16Vdc, P1018 1ea 100uF, 35Vdc, P1020 there's also a lot of space for these, too.

also need some test leads: TEST LEADS blk/red MiniGrabber tm stackable banana to clip, 24 inch long clip at each end, 24 inch long BNC female to clips

SOLDER SUCKER had this shatter inside, a little plastic piece that makes the plunger attached to something. this was strange

It's the big long blue one with the plunger that pops out in your face.

Is there one place to get this stuff that has good prices, and NOT eBay, nor Fry's

Reply to
RobertMacy

(sigh) I see a lot of dead Vizio's. Though I can't tell if this is because they have a higher failure rate, higher *sales* rate or are just more readily discarded/replaced!

Make sure you check component height!

You may also want to consider what "grade" of cap you want (in addition to high temp). I.e., how long you expect to keep the set running. (given that the effort to open it and service it often exceeds the small increase in component prices)

Panasonic FM series are reasonably good.

E.g., we've a 12 (?) year old plasma that I'm pretty sure I won't open again when it next fails. Sad as it has a pleasant picture!

Digikey is my first stop, usually. Prices aren't necessarily "the best"... OTOH, they aren't "the worst", either!

Consider a ceramic tip for soldapult. Last longer (OTOH, you can't mash them down around the tip of the iron as easily!)

Reply to
Don Y

if you don't want to spend a lot check and have a radio shaft near you see if they have the 40 watt desoldering iron that has a rubber suction bubble on it.

I have a pile of them I got over the years every time I stop of that shack and pick one up if they were on sale or what ever.

I now use a rework station but these things come on handy with remote work that isn't to difficult to remove.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Digikey or mouser.

I've been changing caps in Dell monitors as they go bad. We have Nichcon on hand so it's not an issue for me.

Martin Riddle

Did you get the Nichcon from Digikey?

Reply to
RobertMacy

As I posted a few weeks back, I'm a huge fan of the Probemaster 8000 series,

They used to be called Soldapullt but are now made by OK Industries. The distributors have them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Thanks for reposting. I have NO way to do a search for old postings.

I remember a solder-pullit as a smaller version with a lever on the side, whole thing about six inches long, but that other post had exactly the right thing at BG Micro Electonics and selling for like $6.23 each!

the test leads at that URL don't show any mini-grabbers. the automotive test leads have two that 'look' like them but they're made to jumper to something.

Did I miss something?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Maybe? I don't know. I think we use TTI (aka Mouser) as the distributor, But digikey does have stock of Nichicon caps.

Martin Riddle

I would guess that it is a date code. If your TV is more than 5 years old, then I must be wrong.

I am in Silicon Valley, so I would start with HSC

or Ancho r Electronics (anchor-electronics.com).

All Electronics in Vsn Nuys CA

does mail orders an d has the capacitors and two solder suckers in their catalog; they don't ha ve your specific test leads, but they sell everything you need to roll your own. I would not agonize too much over the prices of the capacitors since they are all under 30 cents each (they do not specify the max temperature, so I would assume 85C; do you really need 105c?).

Reply to
jfeng