Where's the benefit...

Oh good grief! Government restraint? Naaah! All I'm seeing is laissez faire. Asinine things, like in Portland, ME, where, if you want your child to see the school nurse you also tacitly agree for the school nurse to give your daughter birth control pills at AGE 11, WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

(That paragraph ought to bring out the leftist weenie cretins in droves ;-)

Sad but true.

Good idea. If we could just steer one into Iran ;-)

The Democrats will never allow that. They need all that Mexican labor to maintain their estates.

...Jim Thompson

snip

As I also said in portions that I snipped, I do not agree with the actions of the EU or Switzerland with regard to requiring the use of the word 'genocide'. I do support actions which encourage the Turkish government to stop prosecuting its citizens under Article 301.

Reply to
Dan Coby

John

Jim Thompson wrote: (snip)

(snip)

No, King George seems to have a lock on that, although folks who believed his "... is a threat" speech back in mid-2002 might still have scales over their eyes. That said, Congress has better things to do than the Turn/Armenian thing, it's just that they don't know it. I'm getting so I disdain *both* parties.

Reply to
Michael

I'm beginning to equate ignorance and Democrats... they go hand-in-hand ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yes, as well as my response that I agreed. But don't feign 'confusion' about the rest when it's clear from the context you removed.

My post, to which you were replying. specifically listed the French/Swiss laws and a comment about the E.U having a case of 'free speech' pot-kettle-pot-kettle so it is no mystery what 'contradiction' I was talking about.

And while you amended your position later to be about 301 your original post was a reply in 'defense' of Congress's resolution that defined what the 'official interpretation' of history should be.

All of those actions are 'contradictory' to your (and my) current 'free speech' position.

But the crux of the matter is that there was, and is, no useful purpose to be served by Congress making an antagonistic 'definition of history' resolution.

As you yourself pointed out there is a movement within Turkey itself to repeal 301 and the E.U is applying pressure, albeit hypocritical pressure, on Turkey as part of their bid for E.U. membership and who, btw, have made substantial changes and democratic reforms in pursuit if it. It's the E.U that holds the 'influential carrot'.

Any 'influence' the U.S. has would be best exercised in discrete diplomatic circles where we could, as one example, express the merits of it, our desire to see such a thing for their own good, and that we'd love to heap praises on Turkey for being a progressive model in the region when they do. But publicly poking a stick in their eye is either stupid, as every living Secretary of State warned them in their pleadings to abandon that folly, or, as some wonder, nefarious.

It's also an example of why Congress, especially the current crop, should keep their noses out of international diplomacy, a job they are not Constitutionally charged with, and spend more time on something the Constitution actually tells them to do. Like, say, deal with the over due budget they haven't passed a single blooming appropriations bill for.

Reply to
flipper

"Some Democrats say Pelosi couldn't have anticipated the backlash. "

Just goes to show how colossally ignorant they are on the matter.

Reply to
flipper

thing,

It's time for a "None of the above" candidate.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think every ballot entry should have a "none of the above" check box. If "none of the above" wins, then try again with different candidates.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:27:03 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: [snip]

In the early days of this I could not understand why Democrats, who would spit on on Bush if they had the chance, would not support something that might lead to another reason to get out quickly. As usual there are a lot of players pulling strings behind the scenes. Pelosi forgot to get this approved by some of the real power brokers in this country.

From the above: "The national Anti-Defamation League fired its New England regional director yesterday, one day after he broke ranks with national ADL leadership and said the human rights organization should acknowledge the Armenian genocide that began in 1915."

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

amdx snipped-for-privacy@knology.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

But what percentage of income is involved as each level? How much of the income goes to the top 50% of earners, the top 25% of earners, the top 1% of earners?

Reply to
JosephKK

Winfield snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

At least part of what you are seeing is Reagan era neocon tax laws taking effect.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yup. Technology. Business. Semiconductors. Biotech. Aerospace. So much demand for employees that we absorb tens of millions of immigrants and still have an unemployment rate about half of europe's.

It's just terrible what happens when you don't take everybody's money away.

John

That doesn't matter. Turkey wants to become a member of the EU very badly so they will do as the EU says -in the end-.

That depends. The eastern part of Europe has been divided into several smaller countries as well since the fall of the Sovjet Union. It took a few years of war though. First they want to fight themselves free and then they want to join EU. Go figure... So I guess the whole Iraq thing is a natural way of dividing land.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

--
I\'d like to see a ballot where you could vote _against_ a candidate
you didn\'t want to see in office and thereby nullify someone else\'s

Jim Thompson snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

If you made that current ally of the week you might be closer to the truth. Over the long haul Turkey has not been a regular friend to the US. On the other hand authoring, let alone passing bills, to try to make political points, that antagonize any other government for any cause is despicable.

Reply to
JosephKK

James Arthur snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

What is with this assertion that Turkey is a reliable ally? They are not.

Reply to
JosephKK

And who fought alongside of us in Korea?

...Jim Thompson

That would be a good idea IF they didn't have so much oil there. Its the darn oil that ties our faith to that of the Arabs.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Nico Coesel snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks posted to sci.electronics.design:

Just a question: What is the sulfur content of the oil, as it comes out of the ground, by location around the globe? What is the cost of de-sulfurization systems by sulfur concentration processed?

Reply to
JosephKK