Where is the Darn Piezo (with pics)

Hi guys ..

I have this brand new garmin vista GPS

The alarm sound/beeper is just not loud enough. It is a little louder than a watch, and I need it to be about as loud as a cell phone. (I use it on a locomotive)

I have it apart and cant find the piezo to even start thinking about altering or replacing it.

Check out the pics .. note .. it has electronic compass and barimetric pressure. so .. the thing in the middle with with the ferrite looking thing, I think is the compass.

anyways .. some pics

here is the whole board

here is a close up of the ferrite thing

here is the front of the board to show it isnt there

thanks mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

...Jim Thompson

Bingo.

Mike, if you have such an issue again where you need to find out where some noise of sound comes from: If have often located the faintest hisses and stuff using a piece of 5/8" drip irrigation tube or similar held to my ear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

But that doesn't work for us ol' farts ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Oh, I bet you'd hear it. I can even hear (most) noises that way with my left ear even though its frequency response is pretty shot courtesy of a kablouie event while in the army.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe you need a fresh battery in your hearing aid?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ehhhh?

I've heard "it" makes you go blind, but all I've noticed is a gradual deafness ;-)

Actually only in my left ear... like Joerg, a "ka-bluie" event ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And let us all not forget (well, how can you, he will demonstrate it for us down the way a bit) that Graham is still an idiot.

Reply to
Brian

Big electrolytic, or wine bottle?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of all the crazy things, I was working on a hearing aid design and punctured my eardrum with a signal that was supposed to compress but didn't :-(

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

And as consultants we don't get workman's comp when that happens.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Nope :-(

...Jim Thompson

Praise Darwin! >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Accidents do happen, unfortunately

Hearing loss really isn't funny. My dad is fairly deaf in one ear, after too many years working in a corrugated box plant, followed by ten years in a cabinet shop.

My hearing is about the only thing that still works, but the Tinnitus is working on that, too. :(

I used to work on big audio amps for bands, but I used my 1200 watt non inductive loads to test the amps. Then you could hear the transformers singing while you drove the amp to clipping to see what it was really capable of.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Rich,

Except that I don't believe in Darwin :-)))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

There's much more evidence that Darwin existed than that Yeshua bar Yoshua ('Jesus') existed.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson