Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?

I was looking at time zones and see many names listed for UTC-4. One of those is SAWST which is listed as SA Western Standard Time. What does the SA stand for? There are not a lot of web pages that even list SAWST. One that talks about SA and time zones is for SAST which means South Africa.

I was thinking maybe SA means South Atlantic, but the places that use this designation seem to be La Paz, western Brazil and other land locked or even Pacific countries such as Chile. Actually, it seems many countries designate their own, private time zone names like BOT for Bolivia Time.

It's just odd that every time zone page just calls it SA Western Standard Time which would seem to indicate all of these sites just copy the info from some single source or each other.

Reply to
Rick C

Search for "SA Western Standard Time" and the answer is clear...took ten seconds.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I copy and pasted a Time Zone list into a spreadsheet from the list found under the image on this page.

All time zone databases should have the complete list of named time zones and the corresponding UTC and GMT references for the area.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Of course I searched on that and many other phrases. As I said, they always use the abbreviation "SA" without explaining it. There is a possibility that I am getting different results than others because I am in that time zone, UTC-4.

Reply to
Rick C

I'm not sure what question you are answering, but it isn't the one I asked. I don't even see time zone names on this page.

Reply to
Rick C

Looking where? Which "-4" ISO 8901 or POSIX?

Zoneinfo has no letter timezones for ISO -4 (aka POSIX +4) so I'm assuming it's a typo for POSIX -4 AKA "AST"

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about. You seem to be talking about computers and I am talking about the names of time zones in the world. What do the two things have in common?

Reply to
Rick C

I would assume SA stands for "South America", considering where the timezone is used.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

My apologies, that was rude of me.

I used duckduckgo and found this listing of time zones that explain the SA Western Standard Time:

or this:

Is that what you were looking for?

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

No, not really. I'm looking for an explanation of the SA part of SAWST. I was thinking maybe South Atlantic since another name for this time zone is Atlantic Time or Atlantic Standard Time. But I'm thinking Tubes might be right with SA standing for South America even though the Caribbean is not part of South America.

The names associated with the time convention within any given country seems to be defined by that country. Then there are many other names that appear to not have a known origin.

Reply to
Rick C