Pissed at FBI ! and whoever else is involved with this BS.

Taking away computers is not cool and not very modern !

Cowboy style:

Euro-trash:

Tell your politicians to throw away their computers/mobiles and see if they like it !

Other solutions should be found to combat these kinds of tools if even required.

Not transcend into COMPUTER TERRORISM by RAIDING and ROBBING PEOPLE of their computers !

IT SUX BAD !

Don't breed more UNAbombers please and don't do it in my country The Netherlands !

If you wanna BREED terrorists do so ELSEWHERE ! NOT HERE !

THANK YOU and HAVE A NICE (gunless, terrorism and fair-free) DAY ! =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 May 2014 05:28:29 +0200) it happened "Skybuck Flying" wrote in :

You are an idiot. Normal people do not want their computers infected and their webcams remotely operated. Or their passwords stoled and their accounts plundered.

Good riddens.

There is simply too much malware out there, and too many clueless kids with scripts.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I've run a across a few websites that like to turn on your camera if you're operating Java.

I need Java for somethings so it's a pain to work with.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

You're foolish if you don't take physical precautions... I just tape over my laptop cam and bung the mic hole up with putty. I'd like to see some script kiddie write a program that can get around that!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If you're that paranoid, why buy a computer with a camera or mic?

Reply to
krw

Supposedly you can turn that option off, but I also read that malware can just barge through and disable the "camera on" indicator LED.

Just make sure you use the frosted tape if you don't have electrical tape handy. Also, plugging the mike hole only mutes the sound received by it. Don't believe me? Do you have Sound Recorder installed?

When shopping for the one I'm on now, I noticed that it's hard to find a laptop without camera and mike built in.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

They're available. I have no idea whether this one has a mic or not (don't care - I'll never use it) but it does not have a camera. I ordered it with the 3x3 WiFi antenna instead, which I might use.

Reply to
krw

*Somebody* might use it.

Hard to find notebook and tablet computers without built-in cameras and mics. The mic comes in handy if you want to Skype from them and don't have a headset handy.

Supposedly BOH's iPad has had the microphone and camera surgically excised.

I'm pretty sure my security webcam can't be turned on remotely, not with the power adapter and Ethernet cable safely unplugged.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I guess I'm not as paranoid as you are. ;-)

Again, they are available. I've never used Skype. What's the value? Go-To-Meeting, sort of thing, sure. I never saw the purpose in Disney's Video Phone (of the, then, future), either.

Aren't you worried about the WiFi and BT adapters? The NSA knows how to remotely control even your battery! ;-)

Reply to
krw

So, just remove the camera and microphone then ?

Reply to
boB

Seems reasonable enough to me, and sends a message that the creation and use of malware is not a risk-free enterprise. This doesn't make the problem go away, but it must help reduce it somewhat.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Better remove all of the network interfaces, too.

Reply to
krw

Skype works just as well as GoToMeeting and you can't beat the cost. ...Jim Thompson

                        #BringBackOurBalls

Can you beat zero?

Reply to
krw

GoToMeeting has a cost... if the person calling the meeting has an account and calls you to the meeting, there's no cost to you, but there _is_ a cost. ...Jim Thompson

                        #BringBackOurBalls

Of course. There is a cost to everything. The point is that I don't need any of it. If someone needs to call me, fine. In any case, I have no possible need for a camera on my computer. It's less than useless.

Reply to
krw

I have conducted _many_ interim meetings and even a occasional design review via Skype video.

And I use Skype messaging daily.

My camera is external (USB)... it can only "see" me when I plug it in. ...Jim Thompson

                        #BringBackOurBalls

They are more than welcome to listen to my MIC input, that is,

if they enjoy the constant racket of SSTV and noise in between being

pumped into it! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Lol,

So you download something, perhaps not even use it, or only on your own computer and then everything is taken away ?!

You may want to re-consider ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Seems reasonable enough to me, and sends a message that the creation and use of malware is not a risk-free enterprise. This doesn't make the problem go away, but it must help reduce it somewhat.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Sorry, people don't get to keep their computers when going to prison for the crimes they commit with them.

Reply to
David Johnston