What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

It always is on so-called negative resistances. But if you ac couple them, the reverse v/i slope has them act as negative resistances at ac.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's it. I re-invented it myself. It was a 709 opamp and three resistors in a little box, powered by a couple of 9-volt batteries.

It's cool connected to an LC tank. Makes an exponentially increasing sine wave until it clips. Negative Q.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The color code of a -10 Ohm resistor is the same as a zebra. After all, a resistor can't change its stripes.

Reply to
mpm

Black Stripes Matter!

Resist!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So why are they always described as exhibiting negative resistance?

Krw's inability to access real world knowledge does become obvious from time to time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

One can only hope that John Larking gets shot for negatively resisting arrest. Not necessarily fatally. Even dim lives do matter.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You need at least one brown stripe. Otherwise there is zero resistance.

GH (I'm a liberal weenie snowflake, so I can say such things. :^)

Reply to
George Herold

A negative resistor would have a negative V/I, period. A tunnel diode is not a negative resistor, though it does have a negative first derivative, for some values of V. There is a difference.

Reply to
krw

Hey buddy, step outside!

(I'll stay here and sip my beer.)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not one that most commentators bother to make.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Oh boy, I can't have another beer. Work tomorrow, so I'm into the milk now.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right. Tunnel diodes have a small portion of their V-I curve that when V is increased, I goes down rather than up.

KRW may be thinking of negative differential resistance.

Still, it's pretty darn cool and quantum mechanical at that ! (electron tunneling)

boB

Reply to
boB

te:

ohm

ESR

e is one of those phrases that seems to invite misunderstandings.

time to time.

One of my acquaintances did his Ph.D. on a design for a two-tunnel diode me mory element. I never saw the Ph.D. thesis but his story was that with two tunnel diodes you create a designable element which could be quite quick - this was back around 1970, so not all that quick (though MECL 3 was around then).

He was designing integrated circuits when I worked with him, but he subsequ ently moved on into ore-processing, of all things.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My late friend Leo Ojala did his Ph.D. thesis on a fast tunnel diode multiplier in the late 1960's. The carry storage units were short pieces (10 cm IIRC) of coaxial cable.

To get short enough input pulses, the incoming data was shortened by means of short-circuited coaxial stubs, as even the ECL of the day was not fast enough.

--

-TV
Reply to

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

Reply to
oldschool

They are called negative resistaces in electronics, though I don't like the term as it does tend to mislead.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are *NOT* called "negative resistors".

Reply to
krw

Good Lord, you're stupid.

That's *exactly* what I said, idiot!

Yawn!

Reply to
krw

So what? The phrase "negative resistance" pops up frequently in discussions of their behaviour. Nobody bothers qualifying it as "incremental negative resistance" or a as a "negative first derivative" of voltage versus current.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Repeating the obvious isn't stupid - when you are writing for an audience that includes the likes of krw it's stupid to assume much real world knowledge.

Eventually. Not paying attention to anything krw posts is a defensible strategy. He doesn't post much, and the main argument for reading what he does post is to see what idiocy he has come up with this time - that is, he is to be read for amusement rather than edification.

Krw isn't into difficult stuff like that. He mainly gets off on calling other people stupid (almost always with inadequate justification).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to