What is 'fm' of a MOSFET?

Hi,

reading some course notes I got from a collegue I came accross a definition which is not explained. I wonder what it means:

For a MOSFET transistor the maximum usable frequency is discussed. The transition frequency ft is defined as

ft = gm / (2 pi Cgs)

So far so good, but then a frequency fm is defined as

fm = ft / (1 + Cdb/Cgs + Cgs_overlap/Cgs)

So fm is a frequency that is always below ft, but what does it mean?

Any ideas?

Regards Chris

Reply to
Christian Auner

Nope. Never heard of it. In what context does it appear in those notes ?

College / University tutors often come up with stuff that is unknown to the real world.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Intriguing. Never come across mosfets used in currrent mirrors. I dare say they may be found in ICs but never seen a discrete one. Can't imagine such a topology to be honest.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear
[...]

Hi Graham,

thank you very much for replying!

I think you made me find the answer: the formula appears in the context of the maximum usable frequency of a current mirror.

Hence the frequeny fm could be that maximum frequency. At least now it seems to make sense. In a current mirror one transistor is diode-connected therefore Cdb (drain-bulk depletiong capacitance) comes into play. Yet I have no idea why Cgs_overlap is needed in the current mirror only, I'd expect that it should degrade the transition frequency of a single transistor as well.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Christian Auner