Wayyyyy OT: European measurements

My consumption rule is simple... if my grandmothers didn't eat it or cook with it I avoid it.

So I eat lots of butter and olive oil. I don't do the pork fat thing, but my father thrived on it and lived in good health until age 90. ...Jim Thompson

I don't like yogurt. :> And, I like my ice cream *really* rich. E.g., heavy cream (I think it comes out being about

50 (or 100?) calories per tablespoon. My butter pecan has a *stick* of butter in a quart of ice cream (you can hear your heart struggling while you eat it :< )

I think the stuff in Diet Pesi has been linked to prostate problems? (I can't keep track of the different sweeteners that these people use)

I think all of the artificial sweeteners have "undocumented problems". :< I've been experimenting with Stevia lately but it has a taste of its own that is hard to mask -- so it's a bad choice for things like ice cream.

All of them seem to have problems as sugar *replacements*. They don't have the same bulk (?) that sugar has so the textures always end up "wrong"...

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I suspect I cook a lot healthier than my (maternal) grandparents. E.g., grandpa used to put pig's feet in the ("spaghetti") sauce. And, they didn't think twice about using lard in some dishes, shortening in others, etc. :<

We probably go through a gallon of olive oil a month. Avoid fats (on meat). We use a pound of butter a week (on average) but most of that ends up in baked goods ("Ah, I guess that makes it "OK", then?" :> "Yes, actually, it does! Cuz we don't eat those baked goods!" :> )

Lunch is "The Pork Dish", today (pseudo-oriental pork meal that we try to eat every Sunday).

I've no idea re: family history so try to err on the side of "better safe than sorry" (within reason, of course! :>). Of course, I could get hit by a bus this afternoon... :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Oh, ick! There's nothing wrong with real sugar. Heck, back when I was in elem. school,[1] our breakfast consisted of about 50% by weight of white, refined sugar. Sugar on the Wheaties, sugar on the grapefruit, sugar on the tomato slice; Sugar Smacks, Sugar Crisp, Sugar Corn Pops,Sugar Frosted Flakes ("They're GRRRREAT!!"), etc. When we got to school, we were ENERGIZED! >:->

And our generation turned out OK, except for the liberals and conservatives. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

[1] back when you had to walk 10 miles uphill both ways through 20 ft. of snow...
Reply to
Rich Grise on Google groups

You must have lived in downtown ORLANDO (Fla!). *We* had to

*crawl* 12,000 feet up a vertical face (both ways!) in blinding snow, basketball sized hail, 84 MPH wind gusts, sub zero temperatures... *barefoot*!

*AND*, we had to bring our own bowls!!! :>

Actually, it is alarming how many people have "sugar problems". Makes you (me) look at what you (I) eat and wonder, "This

*looks* OK, so what's the problem these *other* folks are having???"

(apparently, this is really a nasty "condition"/disease. I know two folks who wear insulin pumps. Several who take meds -- gila monster juice, etc. Of course, very

*few* of them watch their diet, exercise, etc. )

And, there's no real incentive to *fix* the problem as it's a huge market for medications, therapies, test supplies, etc. (sort of like ulcers from generations past)

I always chuckled at The Cardiologist's Diet: If it tastes good, SPIT IT OUT! :>

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I have a random screen pop-up... "Just eat HALF!" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Sure, but that's why you have two monitors...

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[snip]

The devil made me do it... my wife just brought me an ice cream bar :-) ...Jim Thompson

Ah, I show *no* discipline when it comes to ice cream. :< I scoop it out of the dasher and, two hours later, it's

*gone*! Often before it's managed to firm up completely.

Curiously, if I eat *lots* of ice cream, I actually *lose* weight. I suspect that means my body is overwhelmed by it and just pushes it through :-(

(of course, in these times, I'll eat *only* ice cream so that might be a big part of the, ahem, "problem" ? )

Reply to
D Yuniskis

And you can blame each monitor for eating half. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yuck. There is also "no sugar added" ice creams that are pretty good. They still have a lot of sugar, but it's a lot less than commie ice cream.

Power lines and cell phones are "linked" to brain cancer, too.

Some of the sugar free chocolate isn't too bad. Don't eat too much though. ...or at least stay near a bathroom.

Reply to
krw

Nah, he was looking at the other one.

Reply to
krw

If you're diabetic there certainly is. If you're not, it may not be forever.

Reply to
krw

I make 'em with whole wheat flour, raisins, scant to no fat, and a quarter or less of the usual sugar. Treats you can eat like actual food, because they are, with vitamins, complete protein and everything.

They're dang good too, but it's summer--too hot to bake!, at least until I adjust.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I don't like the "twice baked biscotti". Too hard (I don't drink coffee). But, I do enjoy the sticky mess (residue) from the evaporated amaretto that clings to the baking paper! :>

Yeah, tell me about it! 108 this weekend :-/

Two more batches tonight "for the road" (but it's cool at night)

Then, coffee cakes for neighbors that I owe favors.

After that, nothing until Father's Day... (wow! a whole

*week* with nothing to bake :-/ )
Reply to
D Yuniskis

be=20

html=20

If i did that i likely end up with several times the recipe amount as i rather like the flavor of vanilla.

Reply to
JosephKK

I've found that making flavors more subtle results in a more enjoyable treat. Requires you think more about what you are eating -- instead of just wolfing it down :>

This can be difficult with some flavorings (e.g., liqueurs) but very rewarding when you get it right!

(some herbs are similarly challenging to use with a "light touch")

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Reply to
JosephKK

Sorry, I'll give away circuit designs, source code listings, etc. -- but recipes are far more difficult to create so I don't part with them. :-/ (way too much time and effort involved)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I quit bothering.

My experience as well. Though my peach preserves with Splenda and matching pectin worked pretty well. Peaches from my backyard tree.

Heartily agreed. My heart arteries are not clogging up but other things are starting to catch up with me. Crowding 60 now.

Reply to
JosephKK