Voting

I am following the election on danish TV (I am from Denmark). They are talking about waiting times of several hours.

In Denmark we have never had to wait more that 5-10 minutes even though we have a very high voting percentage (last time it was 88%)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

There is some stuff floating around on the net that Obama wants an amendment to allow him to run for a third & a fourth term.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some old men are _really_ desperate to meet women! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was on a telephone 'Townhall Meeting' with Paul Ryan, where people could ask questions and get answers. Probably because I am on Cliff Stern's list.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Our system uses optically marked ballots & a scanner that's not connected to the net.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

North Central FLorida. We had over four million early voters.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dictators don't need amendments. Now that Obama will have "more latitude" with Putin, the KGB will ensure approval by "acclamation" from the House and Senate. ...Jim Thompson

How did you feel when GWB was president, and the economy was crashing. Just curious...

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Well, since we use absentee ballots that we just drop off at the polls, it took us longer to park than to vote. I was encouraged by a line out the door, though!

Reply to
Charlie E.

It took me about a minute to fill out the ballot. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yup. This "stuff" was apparently emailed out to Newt Gingrich supporters, by a guy named Porter Stansberry who rented their mailing list. He is reported to run a "subscription only" website, on which he has a video which makes this claim.

Not the most trustworthy of sources, from what I can see. Back in

2007, a competent court found that Stansberry had committed securities fraud for one of his alleged "inside tips" newsletters, and he was ordered to disgorge $1.3M in fraudulently-obtained profits as well as $120K in civil penalties (himself) and another $120K in civil penalties (from his company).

On the other hand, the story was "floating around on the net" and therefore it must be true, I suppose.

Dave Platt

Zero wait and 75F in sunny in Ben Lomond, CA. Gorgeous day to vote, which should produce a large turnout. I flash my sample ballot, was asked my address (which was printed on the sample ballot), signed the register, and was handed a ballot. I was number 273. No ID check.

There was a line waiting for the sole voting machine, as there seemed to be some manner of malfunction. So I went for the low tech paper ballot stations, all of which were empty. Some additional time was burned signing in for several neighbors that drafted me into dropping off their absentee ballot because they were too cheap to provide the necessary postage.

I also burned some time for the entertainment value. About a month ago, when the sample ballots were mailed, I fished 8 ballots out of the trash at the post office. After voting today, I went back to the head of the table and asked if I could vote on behalf of all 8 of these losers that apparently had no intention of voting. About 5 minutes later, I was convinced not to pursue the matter as they were already calling for the sheriff. I passed the patrol car entering the parking lot as I was leaving. Sometimes, illuminating a problem is not worth the effort.

Total elapsed time was about 20 minutes, not including resetting my Subaru engine warning light, which again announced that my engine knock sensor had failed. No damage to my vehicle, but there was some manner of argument between and SUV and a VW driver. My impression was that the SUV backed into the VW. Must be something about the stress of voting that causes drivers to relieve their stress by trashing someone else's vehicle.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It took me quite a long time.

Yesterday, I called a bunch of people in the phone book, gave them some schtick about a poll, and asked them,

1) Are you registered to vote? And if they said yes, I followed up with: 2) Are you planning to vote? And if they said no, I added them to my special list.

After I had collected one of these respondents from each precinct in my town, I loaded up my car with various hats and glasses and windbreakers and went down to my local polling place.

Wearing one set of hat/glasses/windbreaker, I stood in line for the first precinct. When it was my turn, I told them "my" street address, then said "my" name and was given a ballot. Filled it out, stuffed it in the machine and left. And "I" got checked off on the rolls as having voted.

Back in the parking lot, I switched hats/glasses/windbreaker and headed back in, this time to precinct 2. Lather, rinse, repeat.

They don't ask for ID. I ran the risk of being recognized (or more precisely, being caught by a poll worker who knew the person I was pretending to be), but it didn't happen. Same thing for the past several elections, since I started doing it.

So, today I voted eight times for my candidates! Wait, make that nine, since I voted as the Real Me, too, of course.

It took most of the morning. Woulda kept going, but had to go to work.

--
Silvar Beitel

I hope that y'all understand that this is a joke.
Reply to
Silvar Beitel

I never made that claim, I just mentioned that I'd heard about it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
cameo

Same here but a group of hackers 'borrowed' a voting machine and took it apart and wrote this report (in English):

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

scary voting machines!!

from that page: "Please do not email to ask if you can use the video, just use it!

My wife and I went to the voting booths this morning before work. There were 4 older ladies running the show and 3 voting booths that are similar to a science fair project in how they fold up. They had an oval VOTE logo on top center and a cartridge slot on the left that the volunteers used to start your ballot.

I initially selected Obama but Romney was highlighted. I assumed it was being picky so I deselected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got Romney. Being a software developer, I immediately went into troubleshoot mode. I first thought the calibration was off and tried selecting Jill Stein to actually highlight Obama. Nope. Jill Stein was selected just fine. Next I deselected her and started at the top of Romney's name and started tapping very closely together to find the 'active areas'. From the top of Romney's button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama's name was all active for Romney. From the bottom of that same checkbox to the bottom of the Obama button (basically a small white sliver) is what let me choose Obama. Stein's button was fine. All other buttons worked fine.

I asked the voters on either side of me if they had any problems and they reported they did not. I then called over a volunteer to have a look at it. She him hawed for a bit then calmly said "It's nothing to worry about, everything will be OK." and went back to what she was doing. I then recorded this video.

There is a lot of speculation that the footage is edited. I'm not a video guy, but if it's possible to prove whether a video has been altered or not, I will GLADLY provide the raw footage to anyone who is willing to do so. The jumping frames are a result of the shitty camera app on my Android phone, nothing more.

Interviews have been granted to: Al Jazeera"

Reply to
Jamie M

There is also stuff floating around the internet that space aliens landed at Roswell New Mexico.

Reply to
miso

Don't you know that Republican debt doesn't matter!

While we're at it, Nixon ended the Vietnam war with peace and honor!

;-)

Reply to
miso

Post the 2000 election, when George Bush stole the White House, I have gone on permanent absentee ballot.

I have a paper trail for my vote.

This last one was pretty heavy. I had to use 3 stamps since I don't want to waste my time getting the exact postage.

Reply to
miso